Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
nails5240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front speakers

So i guess I blew my right front speaker so now i have to get new ones. I dont know a single thing about what im looking for in a speaker.
What size do I need? My buddy couldnt remember if he bought 6" or 6.5" for his.
And whats the difference between 2 way and 3 way speakers? Im not necessarily looking for any super high quality stuff, just to be able to hear Hank clearly again.

So what should i be looking for?
Low budget is pretty important now that im getting the lift.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:41 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: front speakers

the front and rear door speakers are 6.5". The 3-way will sound better than the 2-way speakers, unless you buy an expensive component set. The 3-way speaker has a woofer (low frequencies), a midrange (mid frequencies), and a tweeter (high frequecies). The 2-way only has a woofer and a tweeter. If you see a 4-way, this is a 3-way plus a supertweeter for clean higher frequencies.
For the budget, any alpine, pioneer, or kenwood 3-way 6.5" will give you what youre looking for. Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and listen to them and pick the ones you like best. Take a burned mix CD with you to put into the player so you can compare it to songs youre used to.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:30 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

As Nails explained a 3 way speaker has 3 seperate speaker cones and a 2 way only has two cones. You can usually see the cones through the speaker grill, all 2 way speakers I've ever seen have the tweeter mounted in the center of the speaker concentric with the woofer, 3 way speakers usually have the mids and tweeters offset from center.

For what it's worth a more expensive 2 way speaker will usually sound better than a less expensive 3 way. You might even find that a 2 way sounds better than a 3 way for the same price. Don't get too concerned about the sound quality, to be honest unless you are switching back and forth between sets of speakers it's hard for the average person to hear a difference between a $50 speaker and a $100 speaker when they are just sitting in a car. Your ears will adjust to hear what you are trying to hear, have you ever been watching TV and turned the volume down to answer a phone then 10 minutes later realize that you forgot to turn the TV back up but you can still hear it just fine? Your ears do a great job of filtering out the sounds you don't want to hear and focusing on the sounds you do want to hear, be it highs, midrange or bass frequencies. Where you'll hear the biggest difference is comparing one speaker to another in the store. Unless you plan on spending >$500 on a stereo system it will be difficult for your passengers to hear the $10 extra you spent on a 3 way speaker over a 2 way speaker. Expensive speakers will almost always sound much better with an amp which will add a minimum $150 to your total cost for a cheap amp, wiring and other miscellaneous connectors you'd need. It's a balancing act you really should get the best speaker you can afford but you also want to be getting the best performance you can from your equipment, it may be better to spend less money on speakers that won't need an amp and know that you are getting the best sound the speakers are capable of producing. There is a point where you just have to accept that your speakers sound good enough to you.

I hope that made sense and helped you out a bit. Basically just trust your own ears, don't look at price tags and just pick a pair of speakers that sounds best to you.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:13 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

i may be able to help you with the budget. How does $5 sound? lol I got this old *** pair of pioneer 3-ways used on ebay a few years ago. i never even used them, but i did hook them up to my home stereo to test them and they sound pretty damn good. they are model TS-A1670. Its pretty hard to find any info on them cause theyre so old, but from what i gather, they appear to be 6 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers. it says 16cm on the grill and that equates to 6.3 inches. so i dunno what size they are supposed to be, but they should fit no problem.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM

those actually arent that old, maybe 2-3 years, they are a 3-way "6.5", those share the same frame as the TS-A1680 4-ways, theyll fit just fine.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 AM

no they are much older than that. i BOUGHT them like 2-3 years ago and they were ancient then, lol. they have the oldschool pioneer logo on them (if u know what im talkin about). but they still sound and perform great.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM

oh ok, they didnt change the model number then, they were still using that number last year. if its the old logo, then its at least 4 yrs.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM

word homie

Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 PM
nails5240 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ran to wallyworld and got a new pair. They are Pioneer model TS-G670M.

But now do I have to take the whole inside of the door off to get at where they go? How do I go about doing this?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 PM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all press in except for two screws located just under the armrest. Just remove the two screws and lightly pull out around the perimeter of the door panel. I purchased a trim panel removal tool to make it easier.

You probably need to drill new mounting holes in the factory blue plastic speaker rings. No big deal. That's what I had to do when I put mine in.

Quick Reply: front speakers