Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Getting ready to set up the system :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready to set up the system :)

Well since my Mustang is gone I stripped the system out of it and now I have all kinds of extra stuff so I might as well put it in the Jimmy! BTW it's a 95 4 door. Ya'll experts give me opinions please! Should I even keep the dash 4x6's? Some of the stuff I have I definately plan on using are Infinity Reference 6.5 components, Eclipse CD player, and 2 Kicker L7 12's. I'm also looking for suggestions on box design to maximize storage space since I have kids now. The box in the mustang literally took up the whole trunk . I already bought a 220 amp alternator and 1/0 gauge wire to run back. Battery will probably be an Optima Red Top. Options for the subs are a Fosgate Punch Power 800a2 or an MTX 8100 D amp. For the components I'm either going to use a Fosgate Punch Power 800a4, Infinity 100x4 RMS amp (forgot the #'s), or an MTX 6304.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Well first off, I have my tweets from my components where the dash 4x6's are and it sounds great. Box design depends on what you want, sealed/ported/bandpass. The subs are big so making a small box isn't gonna be the easiest thing but it can be done. I believe the L7's are 600 RMS right Dual Voice Coil? Thats 1200 Watts RMS to run both. The MTX 81001D is hypothetically putting out 1000RMS so you are under powering them but not by tons. If you can find something that matches it would definitely be better but your not gonna ruin anything with what your looking at. The fosgate only puts out 800 RMS which is worse. For the 4 channels the Mtx is a no, its only putting out 37.5x4 watts at 4 ohms. but the other 2 are basically the same. I would go with infinity because companies tend to test their stuff with their own stuff so an infinity amp running infinity speakers is a good idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this? I'm just putting my 2 cents!

What are you running for the rear speakers?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking with the amps. The L7's are 750 RMS each- 2 ohm DVC. I had the spec sheet on the amp and I don't remember exactly what it was putting out but it was over 1000. I wondered about putting the tweeter up where the 4x6's were. If it will sound good that's probably what I will do. I have 2 sets of components and was just going to get out the old hole saw and cut a spot out in the doors for the tweeters.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

O well then maybe try finding a nice 1500D amp because that would match perfectly! But anyway you do it, your not hurting anything under powering them. Just remember its a GAIN **** not a VOLUME ****. As for he other set of tweets, its really up to you!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Starting Member

I was doing some measuring today and it's not looking good for both of the 12's. My daughter's car seat connects to the hook in the rear which will block where I was going to put the box. I need room to tote around all the kid's stuff so I'm thinking about only going with 1 of the 12's. Think I should go with a ported box? I've never had ported- always built a large sealed box and it sounded good but I've always had cars. Would the ported box sound louder because of it being in the same compartment? I just hope if I go with 1 L7 it hits hard enough for me since I'm used to 2!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

think about this. mount your amps to the back of the back seat, or under them if u like. then built 2 boxes, one for each sub, make them from the floor to the roof, at the bottom make it just big enough to fit the sub in then taper in as it goes up. then face in together from the sides of the cargo bay. and make them as long as u can. that way u get both, with max cargo, and good air space.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Boomtruck if I had the time to do that it sounds like a great idea- unfortunately right now with my woman in school full time whenever I am off duty all I do is watch the kids so I was thinking about just buying a box right now until she is done with school then I'll have time to build what I want. Years ago I picked up a set of MTX road thunder 12's that came in the MTX ported box from a friend of mine for dirt cheap. I put them in the trunk of my Monte Carlo and they didn't hit hard at all. I sold them to another friend of mine who had a hatchback and with the same amp they sounded amazing for what they were. All kinds of bass. The 2 12" L7's I have were in my mustang in a sealed box I built with 2 cu ft for each one and were powered with the MTX 8100d amp. I was happy with the way they sounded. If I only put 1 of the L7's in a ported box in the back of the blazer with the 8100 on it how loud would it be in comparison to the 2 in a sealed box? The most LOGICAL thing for me to do right now is just put 1 of the 12's in there so I have more cargo room- but if it's not going to be even close to what it was before then I would rather just bite the bullet and work around them

Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Starting Member

Got the box today. I remembered the L7's were 2 ohm DVC and I don't have a 1 ohm stable amp- so to run it @ 2 ohms I need to use both subs. Solved that problem lol. Can't wait to get it hooked up! Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Starting Member

If I could just find the time..

to get this in the truck

I'd be a happy guy!

On the bright side my friend and I put in a new heater core today in 3 1/2 hours