Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Got a New Head Unit! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/got-new-head-unit-23985/)

EuroGoldLS 10-12-2008 01:41 PM

Got a New Head Unit!

My trip to the Queen City has yeilded another little plus for me! My dad and I went to Bass Pro and met Blazin NC there. While I was there I was looking at the different Marine Head units and I kinda liked one of them because it better matched my white gauge faces and stuff, but I really didn't decide on buying it. So today, we went back to Bass Pro to get a transducer for the depth finder on the Carolina Skiff and I looked at them again, and I got a wild hair and bought it. Its a Sony CDX-M50IP Marine head unit 52Wx4mpo with Ipod-ready Aux input, which is a major plus for me because I'm an Ipod nut now:D.Other stats on it is: HDRadio ready,SatRadio ready, Windows Media Compatible, 24-Bit DAC, PreSub, up to 100db+, EQ3 stage2, CD-R/RW compatible.The face is blue or red switchable illumination with white trim strip.[/align][/align]Pics:[/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/2655717d.jpg[/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/6f52fb1f.jpg[/align][/align]

jackson1717 10-12-2008 01:55 PM

RE: Got a New Head Unit!

Nice but for some reasonm im a little confused...This is for your boat?

EuroGoldLS 10-12-2008 04:09 PM

No. Its for my Blazer.

jackson1717 10-12-2008 04:25 PM

Oh lol thats a nice unit though. I can't wait to get my touch screen in my car. Should be maybe a week or two until i order it, installing it maybe be a different story though.

EuroGoldLS 10-12-2008 06:12 PM

Yeah. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have my dash torn down and don't have a good idea on how to wire it in.

jackson1717 10-12-2008 10:04 PM

Look on crutch feild...they have a lot of good vids to help you...shouldn't be that hard

EuroGoldLS 10-12-2008 10:27 PM

I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do it. I'll need to make a trip to walmart to get some stuff though. I beleive they have the wiring converter for the Sony HU.

Yeah I'm gonna need this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4213069

EDIT: Completing my appointed job as moderator and merging consecutive posts.

EuroGoldLS 10-12-2008 10:35 PM

Yeah I'm gonna need this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4213069[/align][/align][/align][/align]*Sorry for the doule post. Edit function not working for me at the mo.[/align]

JerzeyLegend 10-12-2008 10:52 PM

Yes the GM adapter will help alot, and it will come with an adapter in case the antenna does not fit.

I was jealous in the first pic. I have the same radio face, with the illuminated scroll wheell buttons and such. However, I have a screen that plays pictures and such, I believe the term is OLED? I don't really think so because OLED is for TVs and such. Anyway it plays animations, some are pre-recorded some play according to the music.

Heres a pic:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ekend097-1.jpg

Sorry for the big pic (wont happen again).

Anyway, then I saw that your screen is just like plain LCD, and then I thought whew, I would have been mad as hell if they made my radio in white.

EDIT: Clickable thumbnail. PM me for more info on how to do this.

EuroGoldLS 10-13-2008 12:36 AM

Nice. I probably spent more on mine than you did yours....even given your extra features.If I recall correctly,your Xplod runs $189 and the one I bought runs $200. The marine equipis always a little more expensive due to the fact they are built more rugged to withstand chopand high-vibrationand are supposed to be seaspray- and rust-resistant. [/align][/align]Hate to break it to you, butthey do make yours in white.;) [/align]Not exactly like it though, its not an Xplod, but it had visualizations. [/align][/align]I went to opening the rest of the stuff in the box a minute ago, and upon examiningtheunitfurther, there is a true Ipod Touch/Classic/Nano hookup on the back of the head unit! I'm thinking of taking it downward and mounting my ipod bracket on the ash tray. [/align]I'm gonna set to work on it tomorrow so I can get it drivable again. Had not thought about it until now, but that means putting off getting the heater fixed....I'm supposed to take it tomorrow, but I guess not.[/align]

WolfPack 10-13-2008 01:33 AM

Do you just make this stuff up in your head?

Marine simply means the faceplate is water resistant. The radios themselves are the same. And marine anything will cost a little more always...BUT...its mostly markup. And as far as comparing the prices...you have a crappy matrix-ed display that still really only has 1 line of limited characters. His has the fancier display with multiple lines. ON TOP OF THAT...Xplod is a LINEof products sony puts out...there's not one radio called the xplod. You could pay 79.99 for an xplod, or 249.99. Or in your case, pay 200 for the same unit that only costs 119 non-marine.

But good thing youve got a water proof faceplate in your blazer.

TripleBlackBlazer 10-13-2008 01:35 AM

Alright, no need to turn this into a pissing match about who paid more for what features.

Sure are a lot more feathers being ruffled lately. Good luck getting any positive responses with that attitude...

EuroGoldLS 10-13-2008 12:54 PM

No bad attitude present here.The comment above by Wolfpackwas made based on a misunderstanding. What he got when he read it and what I meant when I wrote itare two different meanings.[/align][/align]Anyway, back to the topic at hand.[/align]I'm in the process of hooking it all up. I went and bought the wiring converter and I have it all soldered and heatshrinked together with the stereo harness and I'm searching for some harness wrap to clean it up a little bit.[/align]

EuroGoldLS 10-13-2008 02:42 PM

RE: Got a New Head Unit! *HELP!*

Ok, I have the unit wired in and I have no sound. Am I missing something? Display and illumination are working. Everything seems to work with the head unit, but no sound at all.

midnightride_69 10-13-2008 03:51 PM

I dont know if blazers have a factory amp in them but if they do you have to make sure your blue wire is connected to the factory amp power wire. Ive ran in to that problem before on a dakota. They said it didnt have a factory amp in it but when we hooked it up the stereo worked but no sound. So we hooked up the blue wire and it worked. I would start there.

swartlkk 10-13-2008 04:16 PM

Brent, you do not have a stock BOSE system do you?

jackson1717 10-13-2008 06:46 PM

Speaking of installing. How hard is it to get the stock radio out? I know crutchfield gives you everything you need but im wondering because it doesn't look like i can fit the din tools in to pull it out because it has a theft lock system. Can anyone shed some light on that? Wiring i know shouldnt be that hard ( i think/hope anyway )

WolfPack 10-13-2008 09:13 PM

You just have to take the dash bezel off. Theres screws under the steering wheel and one at the top of the gauge cluster. Once those are all out, you can get two more screws under the steering wheel (or is it 1?), and it kinda pulls off...

EuroGoldLS 10-13-2008 09:34 PM

I got it working. And MAN,IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!Yes, KyleI do have the BOSE system and that was the problem.Thank you midnightride_69, your reply was spot-on, but luckily I didn't need it. My dad came home right after I posted it andhe messed around with it for a minute and said it was the same way in my mom's oldCherokee he put a CD deck in some 12 years ago.I had to jump the signal wire from the din to the green wire that is next to the grey wire on the white side of the stock harness.[/align]Pics will follow tomorrow.[/align][/align]Jackson1717, getting the stock unit out is a breeze. (this is for the 98-01 model, 02-05 might be similar, I'm not sure) You'll need a 7mm socket or nut driver. You need to take the four screws out of the lower dash cover between the steering wheel and the pedals, pull on it to detach the pressure clips. Then you will see two screws holding the upper bezel on. Take those screws out, and also the one in the top center of the gauge bezel.Put the key into the ignition, switch it ON, press the brake and put the shift lever in "1"(For column shift). Adjust the steering wheel to the lowest tilt level. Pull on the bezel to detach pressure clips. You will now have to detach the wiring harness from the4wd switch(if equipped) and the rear hatch release/rear wiper control. Then you can move it to the side to get to the radio. There are two screws on either side of the radio holding it in. They moth require a 7mm socket. Pull it out and pull off the aerial plug and the wiring harness and the radio is out.[/align]

TripleBlackBlazer 10-13-2008 09:43 PM

ORRR

https://blazerforum.com/m_113445/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

WolfPack 10-13-2008 10:05 PM

Did you upgrade the speakers too?

EuroGoldLS 10-13-2008 10:24 PM

No, but I plan on doing it sometime soon. I figured if I let them go as they are, they may blow...lol

EuroGoldLS 10-14-2008 11:49 AM

RE: Got a New Head Unit! *PICS!!!*

Here are the pics!![/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/108_0006.jpg[/align][/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/108_0009.jpg[/align][/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/108_0001.jpg[/align][/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/108_0002.jpg[/align][/align]https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/...s/108_0007.jpg[/align]

TripleBlackBlazer 10-14-2008 10:13 PM

Commence slow clap...

WolfPack 10-14-2008 10:14 PM

shoulda gotten the flush install kit..that bulged out dash look subtracts from the matching beauty of the gauges/marine HU

JerzeyLegend 10-14-2008 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

Nice. I probably spent more on mine than you did yours....even given your extra features.If I recall correctly,your Xplod runs $189 and the one I bought runs $200. The marine equipis always a little more expensive due to the fact they are built more rugged to withstand chopand high-vibrationand are supposed to be seaspray- and rust-resistant. [/align][/align]Hate to break it to you, butthey do make yours in white.;) [/align]Not exactly like it though, its not an Xplod, but it had visualizations. [/align][/align]I went to opening the rest of the stuff in the box a minute ago, and upon examiningtheunitfurther, there is a true Ipod Touch/Classic/Nano hookup on the back of the head unit! I'm thinking of taking it downward and mounting my ipod bracket on the ash tray. [/align]I'm gonna set to work on it tomorrow so I can get it drivable again. Had not thought about it until now, but that means putting off getting the heater fixed....I'm supposed to take it tomorrow, but I guess not.[/align]
I don't want to fight about who got the better stereo. However I have to defend my baby. I paid $220 for my headunit. OLED display, motorized flip down face, adjustable viewing angles, switchable illumination, dimmer switch, 52W a channel max, Front, Rear, and Sub woofer out put, front aux input, it plays CDs, Windows Media Files, MP3 CDs, and Data CDs, as welll as ATRAC3. The only difference between your marine unit and mine it model line, waterproof, and yours has HD Radio.

OMG and yes, WolfPack, I wish I could find that flush mount kit. Mine sticks out as well. Nasty looking. EuroGold, I like those climate controls, but the white kind of sticks out. Any other colors?

Edit: My HU is the Sony Xplod CDXGT71W. Walmart is where I bought it. They no longer support it on the Sony Xplod website. The last listed price was $138. That's crazy how much they dropped it. It's ok, next week I am buying a touch screen, just gotta decide: Single DIN flipout, or Double Din. Perhaps a Carputer.

WolfPack 10-14-2008 10:50 PM

Go with double din. flip outs are way to played out, and they look trashy...also if youre in D1 I think you can't flip out if you have the column shift...I think.

JerzeyLegend 10-14-2008 11:52 PM

Just with double din, it's so low. I don't know. Maybe I can find a nice place to demo one. (Sorry for stealing the thread)

EuroGoldLS 10-15-2008 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: JerzeyLegend

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

I don't want to fight about who got the better stereo. However I have to defend my baby. I paid $220 for my headunit. OLED display, motorized flip down face, adjustable viewing angles, switchable illumination, dimmer switch, 52W a channel max, Front, Rear, and Sub woofer out put, front aux input, it plays CDs, Windows Media Files, MP3 CDs, and Data CDs, as welll as ATRAC3. The only difference between your marine unit and mine it model line, waterproof, and yours has HD Radio.

OMG and yes, WolfPack, I wish I could find that flush mount kit. Mine sticks out as well. Nasty looking. EuroGold, I like those climate controls, but the white kind of sticks out. Any other colors?

Edit: My HU is the Sony Xplod CDXGT71W. Walmart is where I bought it. They no longer support it on the Sony Xplod website. The last listed price was $138. That's crazy how much they dropped it. It's ok, next week I am buying a touch screen, just gotta decide: Single DIN flipout, or Double Din. Perhaps a Carputer.
[/align][/align][/align]I couldn't find the flush-mount kit either. I might find a peice of textured plastic and fabricate it to fit. [/align]The white instrument panels are offered in a number of different colors. I'm not sure what company sells them, but you can get them in polished or brushed aluminum, white of course, and then they haveraised overlays incamo, carbon fiber, and several types of wood. I bought mine from ebay (gauges, headlight panel, HVAC panel) all at one time... great prices! [/align]

JerzeyLegend 10-16-2008 01:22 PM

Thanks. I can honestly say it all looks good lit up together.

jackson1717 10-16-2008 09:01 PM

a single DIN can't flip out with the colum shifter?!?!?

djdrew010 10-16-2008 10:31 PM

I got my flush mount kit at crutchfield, there about $12.

WolfPack 10-17-2008 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: jackson1717
I said I don't think it can. I'm hoping someone can verify. In D you should be fine, but with the shifter down low in D1, D2, and maybe D3, you'll probably have issues.

JerzeyLegend 10-17-2008 12:52 AM

I think it will be fine. If you mount it low it would get in the way, but I should be fine with the flip out. I was thinking if maybe I should just mount a PSP instead of a dvd player. I have the mounting hardware to put a PSP on the air vents, and it can display video, and play any video I want. It's just not touch screen. I hack PSPs, so I can throw in a 4GB Pro Duo, get the GPS add on, and then download the street map software and it's a wrap. I think I'll do that. Save ALOT of money, and have a cool ass PSP mod.

jackson1717 10-17-2008 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

ORIGINAL: jackson1717
I said I don't think it can. I'm hoping someone can verify. In D you should be fine, but with the shifter down low in D1, D2, and maybe D3, you'll probably have issues.

What if it comes out before you shift down?

WolfPack 10-17-2008 07:18 AM

Obviously you'd be fine:D

jackson1717 10-17-2008 04:25 PM

*phew* you scared me lol

myol blue4x4 10-18-2008 08:00 PM

Yes you can have a flip out and the column shifter, you just have to wait till your in drive to flip it out. I found a setting on my flip out to were I control it manually opening and closing as opposed to when it automatically opens with the key is turned. I think I want to eventually go with the din 2 and convert tothe floor shifter.

blazerbumpin 12-28-2008 02:37 AM

im sorry but you should get a pioneer or alpine if you plan on putting some subwoofers in your vehilce it makes twice the differnace

blazinloud 12-28-2008 04:22 PM

it also makes it twice as easy to read someones post when they can at least spell at a 9th grade level......