Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

The Great Speaker Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default The Great Speaker Debate

In this thread you guys can do all your debating, this vs that, whatever you want on speakers, woofers, etc.......keep it civil as I will be heavily moderating the thread

Ready.....Set.....GO!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The Great Speaker Debate

lol.

ORIGINAL: Wakeup

I tend to disagree that PG is in that LOWER category.I don't know what you base that information off of, but I whole heartedly disagree with that.
If you have some links to some reviews or real world application that states that the PG gear you speak of is of that lower quality, I'd like to see it.

And what PG Speakers are you refering to that are in that lower category or are you just saying PG in general?
You don't back up any of your info. You just state it as if it is the way it is which may be true, but you have no backing so far. All of which seems to be your opinion.
My info is based on my having used/installed/worked with them as well as other reviews that are not my own.

Here's quite a few reviews of the RSD65 comp set.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264644
In fact this comp set has got so much vibe going it has 20+ pages of info/review/discussion.
http://phoenixphorum.com/rsd-review-...-e-vt2509.html
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17540
(couple of reviews on the bottom)
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?t=33256
(in that thread there's a bunch of talk again on how these are great.) And are compared w/ and to other decent name brand comps.
All of my "opinions" are based on being the SQ judge in the judging lanes. Incase you arent aware (and for all others who arent), the way an IASCA competition works is as follows. There is a seperate judge for install vs. the listening portion. The judge who actually listens and scores each vehicles' sound has absolutely no idea what speakers are in the vehicle. Whenever I am that judge (at local comps) I like to talk with the competitors after all awards have been handed out and see who is running what. Some vehicles more than others. I specifically like to talk the the person that won and the person who came in last. More often than not, the winner is using any of the brand names I listed that I consider the "upper" category. Those who come in last place are more often than not using those brands I listed in the "lower" category (including PG).

Now again, the way a speaker sounds depends a lot on the install, but the speaker choice has a big role. Im not saying that a lower category speaker doesnt have the ability to sound much better. The problem is that it is much easier for someone to buy a higher end brand and get it to sound exceptionally better than someone to spend much less on a lower end brnad and spend all the effort in the install. Ideally you would want the best of both, but most people cant afford such things.

This was not me saying that this brand is better than the other brand..... rather this was me explaining how I "grade" brands as a "professional". I dont consider me a professional since I dont make money off of this, nor have I published any books, nor have I gone to school to study acoustics or sound theory. I consider myself a hobbyist who has taken that extra step to study under other already skilled judges and learn the art of critiquing sound systems in vehicles that belong to complete strangers in an unbias manner.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Too easy. JL is the best, everyone knows that.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 PM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: bobditts

lol.

ORIGINAL: Wakeup

I tend to disagree that PG is in that LOWER category.I don't know what you base that information off of, but I whole heartedly disagree with that.
If you have some links to some reviews or real world application that states that the PG gear you speak of is of that lower quality, I'd like to see it.

And what PG Speakers are you refering to that are in that lower category or are you just saying PG in general?
You don't back up any of your info. You just state it as if it is the way it is which may be true, but you have no backing so far. All of which seems to be your opinion.
My info is based on my having used/installed/worked with them as well as other reviews that are not my own.

Here's quite a few reviews of the RSD65 comp set.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264644
In fact this comp set has got so much vibe going it has 20+ pages of info/review/discussion.
http://phoenixphorum.com/rsd-review-...-e-vt2509.html
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17540
(couple of reviews on the bottom)
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?t=33256
(in that thread there's a bunch of talk again on how these are great.) And are compared w/ and to other decent name brand comps.
All of my "opinions" are based on being the SQ judge in the judging lanes. Incase you arent aware (and for all others who arent), the way an IASCA competition works is as follows. There is a seperate judge for install vs. the listening portion. The judge who actually listens and scores each vehicles' sound has absolutely no idea what speakers are in the vehicle. Whenever I am that judge (at local comps) I like to talk with the competitors after all awards have been handed out and see who is running what. Some vehicles more than others. I specifically like to talk the the person that won and the person who came in last. More often than not, the winner is using any of the brand names I listed that I consider the "upper" category. Those who come in last place are more often than not using those brands I listed in the "lower" category (including PG).

Now again, the way a speaker sounds depends a lot on the install, but the speaker choice has a big role. Im not saying that a lower category speaker doesnt have the ability to sound much better. The problem is that it is much easier for someone to buy a higher end brand and get it to sound exceptionally better than someone to spend much less on a lower end brnad and spend all the effort in the install. Ideally you would want the best of both, but most people cant afford such things.

This was not me saying that this brand is better than the other brand..... rather this was me explaining how I "grade" brands as a "professional". I dont consider me a professional since I dont make money off of this, nor have I published any books, nor have I gone to school to study acoustics or sound theory. I consider myself a hobbyist who has taken that extra step to study under other already skilled judges and learn the art of critiquing sound systems in vehicles that belong to complete strangers in an unbias manner.
I think IASCA is retarded, even if you don't have an amazing sounding stereo you still have a chance at winning because you have the fanciest install.

Anyways dynaudio is amazing.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

if your install is amazing but it sounds horrible, the chances of you winning are slim to none. IASCA revamped their scoring structure for that reason.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, i agree JL is the best[sm=closed.gif]

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

if you mean JL is the best at ripping you off and over charging out the *** then yes...they are the best haha

Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What are guys talkin about Panaphonix and Sorny are the BEST!!! LOL j/k
Brands don't matter to me, as long as the system sounds good who gives a s**t!!!
If I had the money though my beat would consist of nothing but Alpine w/ the exception of the subs, they would be RF.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: Blazin1

What are guys talkin about Panaphonix and Sorny are the BEST!!! LOL j/k
Brands don't matter to me, as long as the system sounds good who gives a s**t!!!
If I had the money though my beat would consist of nothing but Alpine w/ the exception of the subs, they would be RF.
sounds like someone needs to leave the mainstream audio companies lol...there is better out there for the same amount of money

Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

if you mean JL is the best at ripping you off and over charging out the *** then yes...they are the best haha
How is JL overcharging, cost on their products is cheap and there is plenty of other brands that cost more but no one whines about them.

Quick Reply: The Great Speaker Debate