Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Headrest removal Help- 2001 Blazer 4 door

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headrest removal Help- 2001 Blazer 4 door

I just installed a full set of leather seats into my 1998 Chevy Blazer 4 door. These seats came out of a 2001, though, which does fit exactly the same with the same mounts. I just bought a set of black 6" headrest LCD's that I want to install. Installing is not the problem, I've done that before. However, in the last 2 vehicles I installed the headrest LCD's into, the headrests in the vehicles came right off simply by holding the button down on the side of each post. These seats are totally different from I've seen since they do not have these release buttons on the side of the posts. These headrests that I have in their slide up and down the 2 posts freely, with no lock on it at all.

I am sure there is some release button that is somewhere, but I am not sure where. I was hoping maybe someone knew off hand how to do it and could tell me so I don't have to go out there and waste a bunch of time looking.

Thanks for your time and any help is very much appreciated.

wolv2401

Old 01-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Headrest removal Help- 2001 Blazer 4 door

I believe these are the same as those in my 2000 Bravada in which there are 3 prongs in the plastic gromet that hold each of the posts on the head rest. You need to release all 3 of these prongs on both of the posts before attempting to pull the headrest off. I had a thought that if you were to take some 3/8" or 1/4" copper tubing and take a slice out of it so that you can slip it over the posts, then slide it down into the grommet in the seat, pressing it in to detach all of the prongs. I'm not sure if you'd need to make two of them to get the headrest off...

Old 01-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member

I'm not sure if I noticed 3 prongs on the each of the posts, but I will check again. You know where I can get some pics of what you are talkin about just in case?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The prongs are actually down in the seat back. If you look down along the head rest posts, you'll see what i mean. You'll need to make up some kind of a tool to disengage these prongs to allow for removal of the headrest.

Let me see what I have laying around in the garage. If I find something that I can make a tool out of, I'll post some pictures of the headrest removed.

*EDIT* - Well... That didn't work... I spent about a half hour tryin' to remove mine and no go... Sorry...

Old 01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

So removing the headrests the way said is not going to work now? I tried it myself and couldn't get it to budge at all. I know there has to be a way to get them out.

Thanks for all your help.

wolv2401

Old 01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Yeah, sorry about that, I just took a quick look for someone else and that is all I could come up with. There has to be a way to remove them... I have read on other boards with other vehicles, that you have to reach up from the bottom of the seat inside the seat cover and gently hold out the catch inside, but I haven't tried that...

Old 01-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member

I have a bad feeling that is what's gonna have to happen. I don't see any other way to get them off, but it's almost not even worth it. At this point, I may just install them on the headrests, and then run the cable alongside one of the posts through the seats. I don't know how easy it would be to get inside the seat's cover, so I don't know if I want to go that far.

Thanks again.

wolv2401

Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Well, if its any consolation to you, I don't think our headrest posts are hollow, so you may end up having exposed wiring anyway... The headrest cover is actually pretty easy to remove. I did find that out last night.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

If that's the case, I'm just gonna cut and mount the LCD's with the headrests in tact. I should be able to fish that cable all the way through the seatback towards the floor anyhow. Thanks for all your tips.

wolv2401

Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
bragdog is an unknown quantity at this point

There are buttons, however, they are hidden. If you line up on the metal post and press pretty hard on the seam on the seat you will fill the button in there. It is beneath the seam on the seat.