Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Help for the electronicly challenged!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road
Default Help for the electronicly challenged!

OK, heres my story go ahead and laugh and then see if you can help me with a solution. On mothers day I bought my wife an aftermarket head unit (Dual XDM-6330) since she drives our Blazer more then I do in the winter (shes afraid of 2wd vehicles in our winters). Me being the idiot I can be at times my first mistake was I cut the harness off and wired it directly to the HU's harness (like the titles says I'm electronicly challenged) I do plan on rewiring in the harness though. I also installed 4 60 watt sony xplode speakers in the dash and front doors. The rear speakers are still stock. My newest problem is the HU will play for a while, but after a while it shuts down, and wont turn back on unless its reset or disconnected and reconnnected. The HU is a 200 Watt Peak 50x4. Can anyone help the electronically impared?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

well your first problem is that its a dual cd player haha. when does this happen? like after you hit a bump or something like that? id say to put that harness back on and wire it all again. i had a problem one time where wires came loose (electrical tape) touched and it would shut off. i now use wire nuts, cheap and never ever ever come off. so i would try the rewire. also if that doesnt work it may be a bad ground, (black wire) just run some wire from the black one to a nut on the frame. if you have a newer blazer you could run it right down by the cup holders there is a couple bolts down there.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Hopefully you didn't cut the harness too short...
Step 1: wire the stock harness back up w/ SOLDER
Step 2: buy a cheapy harness adapter and wire that to the head unit harness
Step 3: run switched 12V power the red wire on the head unit.

follow this how to for soldering if you don't know how, and buy heat-shrink... pricier than e-tape, but does a better job IMO.

Follow this if you're as much of a noob as you make yourself out to be lol: http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm and just skip the BS about PCB's and go straight to soldering wire joints, that's what you'll need.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road

JShark Well its happened a few different times, once while I slammed the door, the other times we were driver and hittin no bumps, and the other I couldnt say what was happening my wife was driving (uh oh), yeah I know Dual is cheap but all our audio shops charger way way way to much.

Oktain heat shrink is the only way, I know how to solder thats what I planned on doing. But I may have cut it a little short, at least a little short to work in comfort. But I will checks these leads first, get the wires soldered, and see how it works after that.