Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Help with new system

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
BumpinBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Help with new system

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I just wanted to say im sure i will be here for a while and i love the site.
I drive a 2000 Blazer 2dr 4x4 with boss system. I am looking to make this truck pound. i do not know much about sound systems and was wondering if i can get some help choosing the right equipment.
- I mostly listen to rap but love all types of music.
- i want my windows to shake and i would love a loud system
- budget is a little flexible if i get some stuff now and some in a few months but am looking to spend no more that $1000 total

If i do break up the times i buy stuff what should the order be?
Thank you so much for all your help i love this site and hope to help some of you out some time.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 AM
Beginning Member
zdfblazer is on a distinguished road

Begin with a new head unit. Just make sure you get one with rca outputs and a usb input. You will also need to buy a wiring harness and antenna adapter. Some online retailers like crutchfield and sonicelectronix include the adapters for free with your hu purchase. You don't need to spend a lot of money, 150 bucks can get you up and running.

Some good brands are:
Alpine
Pioneer
JVC
Kenwood

With a new head unit you will notice better sound right away compared to the factory delco cd player. After you get a new hu working you can start looking at new speakers.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

sub wise iv only got 600 rms. my windows shake, its loud, and people have given me the finger. so your not going to need too much power for those subs haha. id say 750 rms or more is when you start getting dimming head lights and power drops majorly. so if you dont want to spend too much just stick with under 750 rms. i myself like craigslist for getting subs and amps, its cheaper and you dont have to pay for shipping or wait.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Ok thank you everyone for your advice i really appreciate the help. I am looking at a JVC KD-s100 for the HU and 2 12" alpine Type-R's in a self made ported box. Is this a good idea? what kind of amp will make these things bump? and how do i figure the dimensions of the ports and the box for a ported box? thank you everyone.

Last edited by BumpinBlazer; 12-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

self made is good, by far.. just make sure you do ALL the proper research as far as dimensions for your subs, proper port length (if ported) etc....check into all avenues(filling the box is good to a point if you want some of your space back)

USE QUALITY materials, plywood is a bad start because it flexes and resonates badly, 3/4" MDF is a good start, use good joints, predrill and properly seal your enclosure well for MAXIMUM benefit...measure twice if not 3 times to make sure everything is on point..

look into dynamat or similiar for behind panels and etc.. makes a world of difference...run good wiring and have better grounds....

youd be surprised how the littlest of things makes the biggest of difference...for some reference:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/200208082...ces/fiberfill/
http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

theres numerous other sources..... i used many and for plans alone took me a few weeks to compile together before i settled on a design - space- and materials needed...time consuming yes, but very VERY worth it

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

type r's are awesome, id say go for the alpine pdx 1.1000. matchs up to those type r's. its kinda pricey though, i was looking at a kicker 08ZX1000.1 because it was cheaper. (was looking at type r's)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

audioque, or sundown. audioques 2200D is one of the best dollar per watt amps on the market.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Ok Thank you so much everyone im going to get this project started now ill let you know how it is when i finish