Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Help With Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
982DRBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help With Wiring

Im putting a system in my truck and need help with wiring and electrical. I am using a pioneer 7800 HU. MB Quart RVF 216 Components front and rear. I will be buying an Alpine PDX4.150 amp to power the speakers. However here is my dilemma. I want to put a sub in but may like to wait. My question is if I choose not to put the sub and amp in right now and then I get them later, how much of a pain will it be to add in the other amp? Will I have to rewire anything? Also I am curious of what kinds of things I need other than the wiring. I have a 200 amp Alt. Can I use my sidepost battery and hook an amp up to it? or should I get one with top and side posts? Basically I just need to know what to do to wire the amp(s) up correctly. Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Help With Wiring

ok, just go ahead and run 4ga or larger wire from your stock battery back. you can use the side posts, but you will need to get a GM post extender. like the streetwires BASMS

then you can get a distro block like this one that will have a 4ga input and two 4ga outputs. That way, all you have to do is add another length of 4ga to power your new amp. I like this one better, here because you only have to run one ground.

For the install, just go ahead and run another set of RCA's for the sub output, and tuck it out of the way until you need it.

Any other questions, just ask.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 PM

So I need no fuses and no capacitor? And if I do add a sub and amp later, will I need either of those then? Is that block that needs two grounds really a pain?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

yes, you will need a fuse on your line from the battery. That distro block is wonderful and has fused leads. Very easy to use.

On top connection, run your 4ga or larger wire (i would suggest 2 ga or 1/0) into the top connection (above streetwires logo) and that creates 4 fused 4 ga outputs.
Put your same size ground wire in the bottom connection and you then have 4 4ga grounds. I can give you the best ground location (under back seats on drivers side)

I would also advise you against putting components in the back doors, as it will mess with your imaging. Just get a standard set of 6.5 coxials.

Are you set on MB Quart for your equipment??? There are other options that will probably outperform those at a smaller price tag.

For amp kits here are some choices
Kicker 1/0
Kicker 4ga

Both of those can be had for cheaper on ebay.

KnuKoncepts makes nice wire as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM

Ok Thanks,my Blazer is a two door, the reason Im going w/ components in the rear is because I want something that will take handle the power of that Alpine amp. Im open to suggestions for the speakers. But I want something that will handle the wattage of either the Alpine 4.100PDX or 4.150PDX amp. My rear speakers I have now do not work, only the fronts do and I do not like only having sound in the front, so I dont want to buy a new system and have an overpowering front setup and a lagging rear setup.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

CDT EF-61FG
same but with better tweeters
Focal probably one of the best companies

and if it were me, I would get the adaptor plate to convert 6x9's to 6.5's more bass response
CDT midbass speakers amazind midbass drivers - just amazing
I am a huge fan of Adire, thats what I run right now Extreme 6.8

Those are my suggstions. let me know.