Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

HIDextra / Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Question HIDextra / Radio Interference

I put a set of 5000k 9005 / 9006's on my truck (2002) about a month ago, and at first I had problems. I would start my truck, and the passenger side light would flicker, then burn out. I would have to engage my high beams, then go back to low beams a few times to get my lights to...light. Reading deep into the forum, I found out how to disable the DRL / AHL's, which fixed my bulbs.

Tonight, I was coming home from work, and noticed that my radio wasn't working right. It was cutting out, and I couldn't make out any of the local stations. It came across me to check the lights. I pulled over, and shut off the light, and BAM! The radio went back to working. I put the lights back on, and then the radio cut out. I am hugely confused! I wouldn't know how to go about fixing this issue? Radio Interference? Does anybody else have this problem?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I have never had a problem with any radio interference but, i don't run HIDextra lights.

Do you have a stock radio or an after market?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Today is the fisrt day i noticed that I had interference with the hids on.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

My suspicions would lead more to the factory charging system. Adding the HID's may have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's (alternator's) back. Not saying it's 100% the source of your problems since you had the flicker issue early on, but it would be a good idea to get your alt bench tested and load tested.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I have HID's and no issues with power/radio what so ever... When I saw "Radio interference" in the thread title I thought yout meant that typical "alternator whine" coming in through the stereo system...

I'm with TBB on this one, get your ALT bench tested, something's screwy, clean your Bat posts as well, maybe a bit of corrosion putting too much resistance on the circuit...

Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran

I was going to say, i have HIDs, Pioneer deck, 12inch sub, 2 amps, and components speakers along with a bunch of other lights and junk. I have no issues with anything on my stock alternator

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

My radio is a stock 6-in-Dash GM unit (bose option). I brought it to my neighbor, and he tested my alternator (it is putting out 14.7). The HID set says it runs off of 35W, compared to the 55W of my stock bulbs. I am thinking that my ballasts aren't insulated the right way, and it is interfering with my antenna wires. I installed them right behind my headlamp assemblys. I will go under the hood, and trace my wires, and see if there is some kind of *booster* that could strengthen the signal. I mean, it kinda works, but it cuts out. As soon as the lights are cut, it works again.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran

Could your antennae wiring just be loose? i had that problem with my cavalier where the wire had just come loose at the antennae...

Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Does that explain the issue with the HID's? I've seen wierder things happen mind you...
The funky thing is that when you turn on the HID's, which supposedly draw less power than normal halogens (except at startup) you lose your FM...

I'm out of ideas...

Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Yea mine is only the radio cds play fine, so its something interfering with the signal.

Quick Reply: HIDextra / Radio Interference