Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

HIDextra / Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Angry

That Michelle HIDextra girl confirmed that there is an interference problem with their HID setup (on another forum). She also stated that there aren't enough complaints in a given day to justify changing the current electrical / product configuration. Also mentioned, was a recomendation (send them back or deal with it). I will try an antenna booster (will post results!!!)

Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is a reoccurring theme with these dirt cheap HID units. And all of these cheap companies have the same response. "If you don't like it, send them back and we'll refund your money." Rather than fix their knocked off, last gen designs or provide any actual tech support, they simply refund your money and rest on the "fact" that they have sold 1xxxxx units and your complaint is insignificant. I have received such a response from HIDextra and will not be wasting any more time trying to get support from them.

I have the same problem with my '04 Rainier. I will be trying some copper mesh to shield the balasts at some point.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm not as impressed now with the service from HIDextra as I was back around xmas time. I understand they're cheep, but the mounting hardware I got is a complete joke... little zip-ties that I can break by pulling on them and some cheap double sided tape. I used industrial stuff and big zip-ties. When I asked about actual brackets I got the "Use the double sided tape you got"... I had the passenger light flickering and going out too for the first 2 weeks with the lights and it went away... as for my radio, I havn't noticed any interference with my aftermarket HU... but I don't listen to the radio that much either, I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Maybe I can shed some light on this issue.

The interference is called "Electromagnetic Radiation"
The components in the HID ballast produce electricity and since the HID ballast produces high voltage to light the bulb, some of that energy is emitted into the air.

Your radio is not shielded against this high amount of energy that is being produced by the ballast.

You may install a capacitor on your power wire inline with your head unit and amp. this will take the noise out of your speakers.

My HID lights produce a humming buzzing noise on my two way radio sometimes. I installed a capacitor at the radio and eliminated the noise.

Hope I was some help. fell free to ask more questions.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure a capacitor on the power wire would help much. In my truck, the interference doesn't have any affect on the actual radio station I listen to most, just the lower FM frequencies. It also doesn't have any impact on CD listening.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Talking

**UPDATE** I purchased a power boosted antenna, and mounted it in my rear passenger side cargo window (grounded on the body). I ran the power to the back of my rear wiper switch, so that it comes on with my ignition, and doesnt kill my battery!

I also found a website while at work, where a guy had the same issue, and purchased ferrite magnets for the ballasts, in order to cancel out the unwanted EMF. They snapped on quick, and still fit behind the lights just fine.

Both purchases came to roughly $60...the HID's can be on full blast (quad beam), and I still have the radio to listen to. Now, its like having your cake, and eating it too...only if the 5 second rule applies where you are standing.

My next vehicle will be donned with an expensive brand name set...lesson definitely learned.