Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Hid's

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hid's

Just wondering if anyone had a how to on the direct connect relay harness for an hid kit? i think i did it right but i want to make sure. everything was from hidextra.com

Old 06-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it has a ground wire that should be attached to a good chassis ground (black), +12V wire to the battery (red), a plug to the existing headlight plug, then two plugs out to the HID balasts.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Starting Member

yea i guess i did it right. i did everything direct to battery though. having a prob with the passenger side one not lighting up properly. as far as the drivers one kicks on but the passenger one doesnt all the time. i have to turn it off and turn it back on several times before the passenger one comes on. would slight corrosion cause this? if so i will have to look at all plugs on passenger side.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are powering them off the same source (via the relay kit), then they should come on at the same time. If they do not, then there may be a wiring problem inside the harness from the relay to the passenger side light or the balast may be faulty.

Does the passenger side light work properly when direct connected to the vehicle wiring?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Starting Member

yea off the relay kit. i havent tryed direct connect due to my nervousness of melting things. u can hear it try to ignite but the light dont come on and then sometimes they will both come on no problem.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Starting Member
NoPh33rRaCiNg is an unknown quantity at this point

ive had that happen, its either a bad ballast or the bulb is bad, i bought 2 spare ballasts and a spare bulb from the seller i got mine from just incase, i used the ballast right away and it fixed it. try swapping the ballst from the good side to the bad side and see if it ignites everytime

Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Starting Member

updated: well everything was working perfectly for 1 straight week. then stragedy again this time drivers side wont work. with the aid of someone hitting the light switch the ballast makes the igniting noise. then i held the bulb by the plastic piece and the bulb does a quick flash then turns right off. should i switch out the bulbs from each side to see if the bulb is indeed bad or does it sound like a ballast? i flicked the switch so many times that the passenger one wouldnt work either till i let everything cool down.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Starting Member

ok has anyone else had a problem with the hid kit from HIDextra.com?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

With this kind of stuff, cheaper is not better. It seems to me, regardless of install, the more expensive HID kits (150+) have less problems. I bought mine about a year ago and paid close to 175 and have not had a single problem. Two of my friends bought the same system I have and also have had no problems. My other friend however, bought some crap off of ebay and sure enough, 3 days later, he had a dead ballast.

The prices have come down considerably, but if you want a good set of HID's from an awesome company, go to IntenseHID.com I had a ton of questions before and after the install and they always made me feel confident in their product.

God I sound like a walking ad lol.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Beginning Member
tprouty is an unknown quantity at this point

I was having the same issue and mine was that the vehicles harness is bad and I had to zip-tie the connectors together and it works fine. Mine would go off with every bump and everything. Try moving the vehicles wiring that goes into the headlight plug.