Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

home theater sub for blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
4.3vortec is on a distinguished road
Smile home theater sub for blazer?

so, i was thinking, has anyone ever tried a home theater subwoofer in a car? i had a old regent home theater subwoofer and i needed more bass for my blazer. so i decided to try it in the blazer for a subwoofer, and ill tell you, it worked out better then i thought. and it KICKS! like enough to where when i pulled up to a friends house he thought i had 2 10's!!

and if your wondering what i was using to power it it was a little walmart 110v 100watt converter. it was nice and loud and clean. i plan on buying a new home theater subwoofer to keep in the truck to use for the bass because my surround sound in my family's house doesnt sound well with out a subwoofer. haha

any who... what do you guys think? ever done it? think im retarded or crazy? dont worry 90% of my family thinks i am. xD

(sorry if i posted it in the wrong section... still kinda new here)

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You should save your money on buying another one to put in there, and get an actual automotive sub and an amp, would sound better, not put as much strain on your electrical system as using the power converter ect.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

yea you'll burn up your alternator doing it that way and can also fry the sub best to just get a auto sub and amp. thats what they are made for

Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
You should save your money on buying another one to put in there, and get an actual automotive sub and an amp, would sound better, not put as much strain on your electrical system as using the power converter ect.
well, i would buy a sub and amp for the truck, but it would be more of a strain on it if i have a automotive sub and amp.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dragoon1101
yea you'll burn up your alternator doing it that way and can also fry the sub best to just get a auto sub and amp. thats what they are made for
well, ive had the converter running in that truck for awhile, and it barley puts a load on it. if i had a typical sub and amp setup it would be drawing more current out of the batter. (ive had on installed before)

Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 4.3vortec
well, ive had the converter running in that truck for awhile, and it barley puts a load on it. if i had a typical sub and amp setup it would be drawing more current out of the batter. (ive had on installed before)

I'm just saying, you could spend the same amount of money as the home theater sub, and in the end it will sound much better, because it will be build for a vehicle, and not for a house.

You have to remember, that home theater sub/box was designed to be played in a large room. so it is not tuned properly at all for it to sound good inside a car.
But hey, to each their own...

Last edited by richphotos; 04-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member
chevy fan302 is on a distinguished road

use auto sub your setup that your doing may draw less power if that truly is the case but in home audio is not made for the elements that car audio with stands

Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

theres a reason why there's differences between HOME audio and CAR audio.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

It will work just fine like you have, but if you put another, you will have half the signal line voltage and half the volume because of it. Know what I mean, if you put splitters on your RCA cables, you will half the voltage in those lines to your two amps built into the boxes... Not gonna sound very nice with two.

Seriously there is some retarded good deals on 12V audio stuff on eBay. I got a pair of DVC 12s for my work truck for 60 bucks and a 50 dollar amp that HAMMER.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ohsofly
It will work just fine like you have, but if you put another, you will have half the signal line voltage and half the volume because of it. Know what I mean, if you put splitters on your RCA cables, you will half the voltage in those lines to your two amps built into the boxes... Not gonna sound very nice with two.

Seriously there is some retarded good deals on 12V audio stuff on eBay. I got a pair of DVC 12s for my work truck for 60 bucks and a 50 dollar amp that HAMMER.
i dont like using Ebay, but i do use Amazon and this would just be a temporary set up till i get the money for a real system. im trying to get 1 8' sub for my blazer. the one im looking at is a really good sub for 50$ and im gonna need to buy a box and amp ect. all i have ran in the truck now is the RCA's and trigger wire, i dont mind using the home sub for now because the only thing thats still a home theater sub about it is the amp, the sub and box are all custom made. It will cost me about 200$ for a good sub, amp, and box. thats why i was asking about the home theater sub. Really all i would really use the amp from it, i would have a diffrent sub and box built for the truck so it would be tuned for the truck instead of a room.

just trying to save money as im only 17 and working as a part-time mechanic and making money off of commission. so i dont really make much. and after i pay for gas, insurance, and the payment for the truck to my step-mother i dont have much money left, that is if i have any. so im trying to cut money where ever i can. haha

Quick Reply: home theater sub for blazer?