Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

home theater sub for blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
CdnS10 is on a distinguished road

i wonder...what about a home sub thats not powered..and hooking up an 'auto audio' amp?
i acually have an unpowered sub and was thinking of this setup

Old 05-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

It's been said before... there's a reason there's a difference between HOME audio and CAR audio.

Of course, this will need said: If you're going to run a power converter you need to upgrade the wire from your battery to whatever source powers the converter itself (AND THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Basically I'm imagining you have this plugged into your cigarette lighter, and those wires are not designed to withstand the drawing current of running such a system. You are going to be much better off running a professionally installed powering kit to an amp designed to handle power with that powering kit, to two hungry subwoofers. Insurance sure as hell will not cover a botched powering system. Most insurance will not even cover a professionally installed setup to begin with unless you either pay more, or have everything mounted ( this = pay more).

If you want a bigger sound, you can do what you want. But if you want to keep that big sound (and your vehicle, or at least take it to another vehicle), do it and do it right. Believe you me, I understand how hard it is to budget in a 2-300 system. After Gas, rent, utilities, groceries, insurance, phone bill, and a girlfriend, there isn't much play!!!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member
chevy fan302 is on a distinguished road

I've messed around with hooking up a home audio sub without a built in amp to a car audio amp and it blew the sub they just ain't made for it you must remember most home theater subs are only 6-8 inches and snoops are usually made to power something much bigger that handles much more power you can find half way decent audio on Craigslist, eBay, Amazon our many other places it's always better to just spend a few extra bucks than to risk turning your equipment into a potentially dangerous environment.Just saying

Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
4.3vortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevy fan302
I've messed around with hooking up a home audio sub without a built in amp to a car audio amp and it blew the sub they just ain't made for it you must remember most home theater subs are only 6-8 inches and snoops are usually made to power something much bigger that handles much more power you can find half way decent audio on Craigslist, eBay, Amazon our many other places it's always better to just spend a few extra bucks than to risk turning your equipment into a potentially dangerous environment.Just saying
What do you mean potentially dangerous? Both the converter and the amp have a short protection on it. And i have the converter fused, with heavy guage wire runing to it. Every wire on the sub set up doesnt even get warm. The power wire for the radio gets hotter then the power wire running the converter. Again, this is only a temporary set-up till i can come up with 300$ for a good system.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Badco
It's been said before... there's a reason there's a difference between HOME audio and CAR audio.

Of course, this will need said: If you're going to run a power converter you need to upgrade the wire from your battery to whatever source powers the converter itself (AND THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Basically I'm imagining you have this plugged into your cigarette lighter, and those wires are not designed to withstand the drawing current of running such a system. You are going to be much better off running a professionally installed powering kit to an amp designed to handle power with that powering kit, to two hungry subwoofers. Insurance sure as hell will not cover a botched powering system. Most insurance will not even cover a professionally installed setup to begin with unless you either pay more, or have everything mounted ( this = pay more).

If you want a bigger sound, you can do what you want. But if you want to keep that big sound (and your vehicle, or at least take it to another vehicle), do it and do it right. Believe you me, I understand how hard it is to budget in a 2-300 system. After Gas, rent, utilities, groceries, insurance, phone bill, and a girlfriend, there isn't much play!!!
Well, i have a 400$ insurance payment 300$ truck payment and i typically put about 300$ in gas a month because i got school work and to home. Thats over 400 miles a week. So, thats $1,000 a month, and i don't currently have a job (i got fired...) So, the blazer resides in the back yard with out insurance, plates, and a inspection sticker at my parents house...... I get to drive a 04 chrysler town & country right now tho. Ya, im rockin a mini van. Haha

Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
chevy fan302 is on a distinguished road

wasn't necessarily saying it will be dangerous just that that equipment ain't made for being used outside. I understand your situation wanting sound but not having money to get what you want I've been there before, used regular house speakers in my car.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 AM
42grand is on a distinguished road

Well, we can all come up with reasons why he shouldn't do this. We all know it's not ideal and not very safe (turn a corner and the box goes flying, wiring issues, etc.). If you need a deal, I own a home audio business and can get you/anyone parts and product at great prices. One of my distributors even sells car audio which I get at wholesale. Plus, I'm sure if you let any of us here on the forum what you are looking for in sound / budget / size etc., we can come up with a setup that you will love and not break the bank (or your truck). Let me know if you or anyone else is interested. I'm in the Phoenix area and I can ship also (it may not be worth it after shipping but if your local or not across the country it may be worth it).

Edit : I didn't mean for this to come across as a plug for my business. I know how it can be when you have a million ideas and no money to follow through with any of them. If I can be of any help to any audio / video noobs or vets, I will be happy to help and offer my services. I look forward to contributing more to this forum as I have recently purchased my first Blazer (I have owned 2 s10's in the past).

Last edited by 42grand; 05-18-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I`ve used full size house speakers several times, never had a problem and while they wouldnt vibrate your neighbors house( which I dont care about) they sounded very good. Thats with an aftermarket pioneer supertuner or similar.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 42grand
Well, we can all come up with reasons why he shouldn't do this. We all know it's not ideal and not very safe (turn a corner and the box goes flying, wiring issues, etc.). If you need a deal, I own a home audio business and can get you/anyone parts and product at great prices. One of my distributors even sells car audio which I get at wholesale. Plus, I'm sure if you let any of us here on the forum what you are looking for in sound / budget / size etc., we can come up with a setup that you will love and not break the bank (or your truck). Let me know if you or anyone else is interested. I'm in the Phoenix area and I can ship also (it may not be worth it after shipping but if your local or not across the country it may be worth it).

Edit : I didn't mean for this to come across as a plug for my business. I know how it can be when you have a million ideas and no money to follow through with any of them. If I can be of any help to any audio / video noobs or vets, I will be happy to help and offer my services. I look forward to contributing more to this forum as I have recently purchased my first Blazer (I have owned 2 s10's in the past).
currently at the moment, I no longer own my 2002 blazer. I gave it back to the "dealership" because it developed a rod knock. I'm currently buying a 00' GMC Jimmy for 500$ with a bad engine, but it has a killer sound system in it from the factory (bose) so im gonna keep it stock. Maybe add a little 8' sub in it just for a little extra kick.