Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

how to: wire a speaker box

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road
Default how to: wire a speaker box

I recently acquired a free speaker box that has two speakers and two subwoofers all together. I wanted to mount this in my trunk of my 94 blazer. I was wondering how I wire this to my aftermarket JVC radio? the speaker box has a black slot and a red slot for wires on either side of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member
smoke03 is on a distinguished road

You may have to buy and amplifier for the sub woofers but if not you should be able to splice into the speaker wires on your cdplay and then run them to the box and hook them up into the terminals

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
92K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road

well first off your probaly going to need an amplifier to power the subs, then an amplifier wiring kit to wire the amp up. Then im sure your hu (head unit) has a subwoofer or a rear output rca female connectors on the back of it. That is where you would connect the wires for both the subs and the speakers. they then would run those wires to the amp, then the amp wold go to the box. make sure you run the power cable straight from the batt to the amp. Also the ground would be as short as possibly (less than 24") and make sure to run the power cable along one side of the car, and the rca cables alsong the other so th electrical field around the power cable doesn't interfer witht the rca wires. hopefully i didn't confuse you to much. if you can take a picture of the box it would help.
heres a video about everything i said http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...ers_movie.html

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Starting Member

no that actually helped alot thank you. ill get pics up. also my headunit is a brand new jvc one so im sure it has the female rca because my old panasonic one did, I just havent checked yet

Last edited by classklown90; 06-27-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Starting Member
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
paxlineman is on a distinguished road

you could run an amp with that setup but it would need to be small. i would just run it off the speaker wires tho.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
92K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road

ya you could but your radio only puts out 22 watts rms (uaslly around that) so you wouldn't even get enough power to the subs to let them hit hard. those subs need an amp if you want them to hit hard. you could run the other speaker (i think tweeters you said) off your radio wires. But you definitly need an amp. Find out the subs rms power and peak power and look for an amp. though when you are looking go by rms it is more accurite and make sure you don't get anything more powerful then the subs otherwise you will blow them fast.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry man, bad idea to run subs off the h.u. your best bet is to find a tiny 2 channel at a pawn shop or something. but then your just going to want bigger and better.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
paxlineman is on a distinguished road

i was saying not to run an amp because i ran those same subs in my first car and they could not handle anything. i could be wrong though

Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Starting Member

so im guessing an amp is a bad choice with those subs cuz theyll blow? how much of a difference will this make in my sound system if i wire it to my speaker box and if i were to do this can anyone walk me through it or link me to a way to do it(i have no expierence but want to learn)

Quick Reply: how to: wire a speaker box