Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

HOWTO: CB Install in a 1st Gen Blazer/Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOWTO: CB Install in a 1st Gen Blazer/Jimmy

Okay, I noticed a lack of CB Radio install methods, especially for the first generations; so I'm putting this together for all of the first generation owners who want a clean method to wiring in a CB.

Parts List:
[ul][*] Butt Splices, Ring connector of a 10 stud size, and Crimpers[*] Screwdrivers of various sizes[*] Pair of pliers or some other object to tighten nuts down.
[/ul]
Okay, let's start by opening the hood and disconnection both sides of the battery starting with the negative side. Then from there remove the cover around the radio to reveal the 12V DC power outlet and rear window switch. This is also important because I mounted mine in the ashtray compartment (sorry smokers, find another location.)

Now this install is done easiest by removing that bezel and setting it aside. Start by disconnecting the outlet and then the rear window switch. I recommend keeping the switch assembly in a sandwich baggie or something; that switch is quite important.

Once the bezel is removed, take the ashtray out and set it aside as well. Then remove the little bulb light by lifting up and out. Gentle place it outside and then pull down and out (it'll take some wiggling) to get the metal ashtray support out. Now directly at the end, where the gap is between the two metal pieces, measure for the mounting holes.

Throw the support tray in a vice and start drilling. Be easy and gentle, that's thin metal and it will bend and break.

Once that's done, put the ashtray support back and put the bulb back in.

Now for the fun part.

You have to be gentle and more importantly careful, always test for voltages with a volt meter. DC Current can injure. A mere 40 milliamps can cause muscle paralysis. But you shouldn't have that problem seeing as how you disconnected the battery. But to get on with it:

Start by severing the wire that leads into the top of the auxiliary outlet.

Then mount your CB up in the position you want it and split the CB wire down the middle separating the ground and 12 volt DC wire.

Run the positive wire up behind the dash and into the location of the auxiliary outlet. Then butt splice both the 12V DC outlet wire and positive wire of the CB, thus giving you power to the CB.

Then, run the ground cable down and out of the way of the pedals. Run it behind the carpet and connect it to the chassis via a bolt that I located behind and to the left of the brake pedal. This is a rather rusty bolt on my truck so it is going to be a pain in your ***. But nonetheless, get it off there and get some sandpaper or emery cloth and clean it up. You want a really good ground to your CB.

Then, connect the ring connector to the CB's ground wire and put the ring connector on the bolt. Depending on the size you may have to drill it out, as did I.

However, get it to fit, put the nut back on tightly and replace the carpet.

Reconnect the battery, pray the sparks don't fly and see if the CB works. Do not key the microphone however or else you'll blow that newly purchased radio to hell because you haven't placed the antenna into the circuit thus adding resistance.

If the radio turns on, turn it off. Now you can choose to patch everything back up and clean the interior up, as did I, or just go ahead and put the antenna in.

I purchased a little magnet mount CB antenna.

My basic install for that was slap the CB antenna on the roof, run the cable through the opening of the glass hatch, behind the spare tire, and underneath rear seat, down the right side of the drivers seat between the console and into the CB. Easy and no frills. You may have a different way of doing it. I just found it easy that way.

And there you go folks, simple, effective, and most importantly clean. Next things to do is tune your SWR. Now for that, you need a SWR meter from Radio Shack and either a precision screwdriver or a pair of scissors. Some antennas have a cut-to-tune tip and some have a little screw that will tune it.

Next, go out of the town and tune to channel 19, call breaker breaker 1 9, wait for a response and ask the guy for a radio check. He should tell you it sounds good. At which point you can end the transmission or continue talking.

Remember. Drive with caution. A CB is like a shortband cell phone. Be aware of who is around you and pay attention while driving.

Good links to look up are:
Wikipedia: Ten Code
Wikipedia: CB Radio
Wikipedia: CB Slang

Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough
Default RE: HOWTO: CB Install in a 1st Gen Blazer/Jimmy

Going directly to the battery is the suggested way of pulling power for a CB to lessen the chance of outside noise in the radio.

Please throw the butt splices away and buy a soldering iron and some heat shrink.

If you run the antenna coax out the back under the carpet it will fit in the slot in the grommet for the tailgate popper. You just have to work it in the little slot but it will fit and look better than just ran out the window.

Nice write up. What kinda radio you got? I'm running a uniden 78 elite, x-force 200hd, rg-8x coax, and a 102 inch stainless steel antenna.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: neo71665

Going directly to the battery is the suggested way of pulling power for a CB to lessen the chance of outside noise in the radio.

Please throw the butt splices away and buy a soldering iron and some heat shrink.

If you run the antenna coax out the back under the carpet it will fit in the slot in the grommet for the tailgate popper. You just have to work it in the little slot but it will fit and look better than just ran out the window.

Nice write up. What kinda radio you got? I'm running a uniden 78 elite, x-force 200hd, rg-8x coax, and a 102 inch stainless steel antenna.
Well I do not disapprove of your heat shrink method, I've always just ran butt splices because they seem quick, easy, reliable and clean looking. But the next time I do something like that I will take it into consideration.

I appreciate the tip on running the CB antenna through the grommet for the tailgate popper, although I might need you to tell me where exactly its located.

And I'm running a simple Cobra Radio with a magnet mount CB antenna. Stuff I bought at a local store to use off on trails and on the highway. It saved my *** when I got lost and used it to get directions to get back home.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I'll try to get a pic of the grommet. Easier for me to do that than try to explain.

Butt splices have a time and a place but 90% of the time can cause more problems than the time they save vs soldering. Back before I started working on electrical for a living I used to use all the crimp connectors. Now I know better and do it the correct way.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Starting Member

My major is in electrical motor controls so I don't deal with the small circuits that often. But I appreciate the tip and the photo ^-^