Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Install problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
Hotfingers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Install problem

I installed my Alpine ida-x100 along with the Alpine S-series 4x6, 6 1/2, and 6x9 and had no problems. The last couple of days I ran 14 gauge wire to all the speakers, 4 and 8 gauge for the amps, and an AI-Net cable for the PXA-H100. After putting everything back together and plugging in the PXA-H100 and an amp I turned the key and now the head unit won't turn on. I pulled the inline fuse at the head unit to check for current and it is getting power. Then I plugged in the factory unit. It powered up, kind of. The factory speaker lines are disconnected so I couldn't tell if it's putting out sound but when I press eject for the cd and cassette, it tries to eject. But there was no display. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 AM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

possibly in the midst of it all you knocked a power wire loose to the head. When cd units are underpowered they will not turn on and when you eject a cd it may or may not work on getting the cd out but the displays and such will not come on.

i would start there and move on to other options. also check the ACC line fuse on the back of the head unit as the cd eject option will work without the ACC power present and only the constant 12V (memory) wire connected.

DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE RADIO FUSE IN INTERIOR FUSE BOX!!!!!!

Last edited by boomtruck97; 05-09-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Beginning Member

I checked the in line fuse as well as the fusebox. When you day I may have knocked loose a power wire, are you suggesting that there is more than one? I checked the yellow one (the one with the in line fuse). I soldered the harnesses together so I'm pretty sure those connections are solid. If there is another power wire there must be a fuse somewhere other than the fusebox, where would that be?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

there are 2 power wires for the headunit. A constant wire and a switched wire going to the ignition. The constant is yellow and the switched is red. Both of them need to be hooked up to work.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

For a test, take the aftermarket radio and hook the red and yellow together temporarily, and then hook to the yellow in the car, see if you get full power, and then hook to the red in the car.

This will let you know which is out. My guess it is a blown fuse.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks for your ideas

I'm going to try your idea of connecting the 2 power wires as soon as I get a free second. If it is a fuse it isn't a fuse in the fusebox, I checked all of those already. Where else could it be?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM

it could be in many places. not to mention if the wire came loose on the back of the fuse box or something. but the point is that iff you find which is out then you can run another one to replace it, its really easy. but still it starts with finding what broke in the first place.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

I doubt I knocked anything loose, and even if I did wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to fix a blown fuse?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM

i worded that horibbly. i dont know what i was thinking. What i meant is that iff the power wasnt getting to the unit - one way or another - and you could not find it, then run a new power wire with a fuse on it. if all else fails to work, try the two wires together thing but splice a positive from the back of the cigarette lighter just to test if thats it.

and if no one else mentioned it yet - use a multimeter on:
red and black
yellow and black
:wires and make sure they have 12 volts DC power going across them.
if you get power on one set but not the other, they were closer
if neither gets power try them (red / yellow) again but use the negative tester lead on the antenna wire to test if the wired ground is bad.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most definatly check ur acc wire. If you are able to eject a cd then it sounds like ur getting power. This wire tells the stereo to turn on when u turn the car on but most head units will still eject cd's when off. This would explain why you could eject the cd but not see a display. This is the wire that you run to the remote on ur amps it does the same thing for your amps tells it to turn on when u start the car so they aren't running all the time. sorry if i explained something you already know.

Quick Reply: Install problem