Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

lcd screens anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by irish13tag
Here is one I just found for a back up cam and it's located in the usa.

Night Color Car Reverse Camera Vision Backup Rear View | eBay

This is the one I have in my blazer. You can adjust where the cam is viewing.
CAR REVERSING IR CAMERA NIGHT VISION+VIDEO CABLE | eBay

I thought about mounting inside the cab, but I was afraid I would get a glare from the back window, either at night or during the day.
thats the same way i feel. So you mounted it where the release hatch was at what exactly did you take out just the button, i have hatch release on my alarm so it be great idea to mount it there

Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
irish13tag is on a distinguished road

Yes Kiwi, it should fit. The actual push button switch pulls out of the housing and the cam should slide right in. I also ran the wires (for the video pic and power) with the other wires ( wiper power as well as window cleaner line) for a clean install. I will take some pics today to give you a better idea on how I did it.

Blazer, that's the main reason why I removed my switch for the hatch release. I have the button on my dash for the release as well as on my remote for my car starter. I will take some pics and post them later today to give you guys a better idea of what is all involved. Personally I think it looks great and if you didn't know there is a cam there, you would probably trying to push the button. Ha Ha. I actually got my dad yesterday on that. "why is the trunk not releasing? I pushed the button." I was laughing so hard.

Ok so I took some pics this morning, so lets see if I can manage to word it right. There are 2 phillip screws, one on each side of the tail gate (pic 1) and one by the hatch release (pic 2). Also 2 screws for the gate release handle (pic 3). Take all these screws out and the plastic piece pulls off. There are metal clips that also hold it in place but it should pull off easy. 4th pic is the backing plate that you also have to pull off to access the switch.

To pull the backing plate off there are 2 metal rods attached to 2 white clips (pic 1 & 2). All I had to do is push down on them and the "pop" right out. I forgot to take a pic of the 3rd rod which is vertical and is used to release the hatch. This one is kind of tricky cuz you have to lift the backing plate to access the white clip to remove it. Once the backing plate is removed along with about a dozen of screws holding it to the tail gate, you can see where all the wires are ran (3rd pic). The last pic you can see the rubber boot inside the cab under the carpet and plastic piece (which pulls off also).

One this 1st pic you can see the clip where my the push button switch was attached to. I also forgot to take a pic of the hatch release mechanics. There are 3-10mm screws that hold that piece in place. The last pic you can see where the cam is located (just under the hatch release). There is a metal clip that you can move (kinda hard and tricky) out of the way. Once that is removed the switch pulls right out of the tail gate. I hope I have explained everything well enough. Let me know if any of you have questions or need more pics or whatev.

Attached Thumbnails lcd screens anyone?-screw-location.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-middle-screw-hatch-release.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-screws-tailgate-release.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-backing-plate.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-left-clip.jpg  

lcd screens anyone?-right-clip.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-wires-tailgate.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-wires-inside-trunk-going-into-rubber-boot.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-clip-push-button-switch.jpg   lcd screens anyone?-cam-location.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-31-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: *Combining 5 Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond. Rules are rules.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Great! Thanks for that. I started, but then the rain came down. We've got a slow moving storm coming from the north west which could turn nasty over the next few days, so I'll have to wait till I've got clear weather - don't want to start then stop/go till the jobs done.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Sorted! Thanks irish13tag.

Just can't figure how to get the leads through the rubber tube. Used a wire to pull through but connector kept getting caught up in wires inside. Might just connect & cover in some way.

Next is to wire it up to the reverse & stereo.

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 12-31-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member

Hey looking great!!! Looks just like what I did to my blazer (other than the kiwi thing). Ha ha. I used a wire coat hanger, that way I could bend and manipulate to get the wires thru. I'm glad I could help. I'm still learning how to post things on here (multiple post including pics). I didn't know you could edit a post after it's already been posted. Ha ha. Got my first warning regarding it. Oh well, **** happens.
On another note- I had to grab a +12v from the reverse light and connect that to my deck and then the deck powered the cam. It's cool cuz when I put my blazer in reverse the cam and the screen turn on.

Last edited by irish13tag; 12-31-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Took me a while to figure out the picture down loading. Easiest is with a PhotoBucket account. And with the double posting - man you don't want to mess with the admin on this LOL
Turned out real good. I'm pretty pleased with it. The guy who wired up the stereo is still to call around to complete the job.
Just hope that I get a good view from the camera as it kinda points slightly upward. Fortunately, this cam has a viewing angle of 135/170deg. so hopefully it works fine.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Starting Member

Hey bro thanks that helps alot. Now i just have to wait for my new head unit and cam to get here. Another question you said you hooked up your HU to reverse so when you put it in reverse it turns on, so did you also hooked up the camera to the reverse cables in the back? im kind of confused here lol. Both of them are hooked up to reverse so they turn on at the same time correct. Also if i add the second screen will that also turn on or how should i hook it up, meaning i dont want it to be turned on everytime my HU goes on you know. Im in the point of just saying F*** it and take it to the shop on the other hand i want to learn how to do it myself so i can have knowledge on installing this kind of material. Thanks again man your really helping me out here.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Beginning Member

Yes the HU has an input wire for reverse signal (+12v). So what I did was to attach that wire (the one I grabbed from the reverse) to both the input wire for the HU and cam. So there are 3 wires connected together. I hope I'm explaining better. Ha ha. Also when I grounded the cam, I grounded right in the tail gate. I've always heard that you want to have the shortest ground wire when running electronics. Now as far as the 2nd lcd, I have a toggle switch that I use to turn the lcd on and off. The lcd screen has it's own power button, but you know kids, and kids will be kids.
I'm glad I could help you out.

My cam pretty much views straight out. My original thought was to use the cam for when I'm trying to align my boat trailer. Oh well. Also I was hoping I could zoom in some but it doesn't look like I can. All in all I'm still happy with how it looks and turned out. The picture on my HU looks pretty good also.

Last edited by irish13tag; 01-01-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by irish13tag
Yes the HU has an input wire for reverse signal (+12v). So what I did was to attach that wire (the one I grabbed from the reverse) to both the input wire for the HU and cam. So there are 3 wires connected together. I hope I'm explaining better. Ha ha. Also when I grounded the cam, I grounded right in the tail gate. I've always heard that you want to have the shortest ground wire when running electronics. Now as far as the 2nd lcd, I have a toggle switch that I use to turn the lcd on and off. The lcd screen has it's own power button, but you know kids, and kids will be kids.
I'm glad I could help you out.

My cam pretty much views straight out. My original thought was to use the cam for when I'm trying to align my boat trailer. Oh well. Also I was hoping I could zoom in some but it doesn't look like I can. All in all I'm still happy with how it looks and turned out. The picture on my HU looks pretty good also.
Yea thats why my kids are terrible lol thats why i want to keep them entertained watching movies or something while driving because they like to play with the windows and the amp. I see what you mean now lol, and the only reason for a cam is so i can see the kids that like running around in the parking lot here where i live. Thanks again bro!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Starting Member

How can i add a switch to the backup camera so not only when i put it in reverse it turns on but i can use it whenever i want to while driving does anybody know, i think someone here told me but cant find it. Thanks.
few more days and i get my stereo, 2nd lcd screen, and camera here.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member

I added a switch. I changed things up in my wiring though. Instead of using the +12v from the reverse light, I used +12v from the fuse box to give power to the cam input for my HU and back up cam. So now like you said, you can turn it on at any point and what the dumb people behind me are doing. Ha Ha.

So here is what I did. The wire from the fuse box I have going into one terminal of the switch and the other terminal end is going to both the HU and cam. Neither one (HU or cam) draw much juice from the fuse box. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: lcd screens anyone?