Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Mounting new speakers?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you are matching RMS to RMS, you shouldn't blow anything unless the manufacturer has drastically miscalculated (read: altered / inflated) the rating of their products.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

on a side note is it just me or is MDF really hard on router bits, ive gone through 3 of them so far and im not even close to done. im cutting maybe 3/16" if that of matrial at a pass and im not even done getting general cut outs of the rings. granted i am only using a Dremel with router attachments. still seems like the bits are burning up quick.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:19 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

You don't HAVE to match the RMS rating of the speakers. For that matter you can go over it and with the proper settings and careful attention to the speakers themselves (listening/smelling for problems) they'll run just fine. For example the Bravox CS60K components I have are rated 80wrms but I've got them amplified by a Sundown 125.2 which is rated 125wrms per channel. I also have a set of Bravox CS603CF 3-way components to put in the van that, whether they get installed in it or the vehicle that replaces it, are going to be hooked up to the Sundown 100.4 bridged for 300wrms per channel and those are only rated 125wrms IIRC. The point is that you should do what makes you comfortable and fits within your budget. There won't be anything wrong with buying an amp that can give them 75wrms. As for that 50x4 rating on the HU, if you read the manual for it you'll see that 50x4 is actually the max wattage and the RMS per channel is anywhere around 15 to 22wrms. Hu's really don't have much power at all compared to an external amp.

I can speak from a fair bit of experience that MDF is hard on everything, saw blades, router bits, everything. Also it does seem especially hard on the Dremel bits. I can only imagine why that is (one thing for sure is to be certain the Dremel is turned all the way up) but it has definitely been the same experience for me. If you don't have access to a full size router then you're just kinda stuck with replacing a lot of Dremel bits. On the other hand a full size router, bits, and a circle jig, while a bit of cost up front are worth their weight in gold in the long run if you do much of this stuff at all.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

well so far i got the mdf rings made, came out ok, a little lumpy, but ok, im not winning any awards with them, but hell, im pretty proud cause i made them myself (with your guidance ofcorse) lol. i put a recess in them like yours and i would have to say thats the part im most impressed on how it came out with mine, the speakers sits im them like a glove.

Did you make baffels for your rear doors also?

and an amp question im thinking of getting the MTX Thunder75.4 from crutchfeild to power all 4 speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions on it? im basicly going with that one cause its not to expensive and its 75w RMS x4. Also any mounting suggestions for it. since im not puting a speaker enclosure in the back to mount it to, i cant really think of anywhere where it would be out of the way, aside from outside on the roof, lol. I was giving consideration to in the cago area on the passenger side interior panel, but thats a little inconvienent for running wires for the front and driver side speakers. or i was thinking of innside the center arm rest, but im conserned witht the amp overheating in there.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Well, I have a 2 door so there's no rear doors, but no I didn't make any for the rear speakers. While there are some cheapo Sonys in the back (present from the wife, had to put them in) they're not even hooked up. I don't use them at all so there's no need for a good baffle for them. I will say this, it wouldn't matter what speakers, vehicle, or location within said vehicle those speakers would go, if I was going to put some in I would definitely do everything in my power to ensure I got the best performance from them I possibly could. That includes baffles, sound deadening, and anything else needed to achieve that goal.

That would be a great amp to go with. Your concerns for it overheating in the arm rest are well founded. It would very likely overheat inside that small space. I've seen people mount amps on the backs of the back seats, under false floors (with fans), under seats (not necessarily in these trucks), under dashboards, and basically anywhere one would fit. I'm currently trying to find a place to stick a Focal Solid 2 amp that hides it out of view and am not having much luck (ands it's quite small). Although the wire runs would be very involved that back corner isn't a bad spot to put it. Basically anywhere it fits and makes sense to mount it should be sufficient. I really can't tell you exactly where that is, I know I wouldn't hesitate to run whatever wiring was necessary, but I think you'll know it when you see it.

It will be a great amp for the money and the size should be fairly versatile to mount, especially with a little imagination.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 11-07-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

once I get the components in the jimmy, the rear door speakers are GONE... the people in the back seats are few and far between LOL

As for hiding amps... Its really easy for me.. I have a large sub box that alton designed for me. so its easy to put amps attached to the seat behind it.
even so, i live in a good area, so do not have to worry about people breaking into the truck, and when I am in the area to the cautious, I turn the music down... that is.. unless I am drunk and Chelsea is picking me up LOL