Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

My audio build/suggestion thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough
Default My audio build/suggestion thread.

Ok so i've decided on what i'm going to be getting as far as audio goes. Now the problem i'm running into (which i haven't ordered the stuff yet so i have a bit of time) is where to mount the amps. The humps under the front seats prevent me from being able to mount the front stage amp up there...... so in the back it is. Problem I'm having is that the box is 36 and some change wide and i only have 38" between the wheel wells in the back. so with 2 amps to mount back there i'm unsure how i can do it and have it look clean. I'm going to be slightly overpowering the front door speakers but i can turn the gain down to compensate for that.....and the rear i think i have matched pretty well.

Anyway here's the list of stuff. Let me know what ya'll think and what you guys think about tweeter placement and amp mounting.

Sound Ordnance™ M-1500 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com
Sound Ordnance™ M-2100 2-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com
Yes i know, cheap amps, but if you look at the ratings and the fact that they're AB amps they're actually pretty good.

Alpine SWE-1043 Type-E 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield Outlet
2 of thems

Sound Ordnance™ Bass Bunker Ported dual 10" subwoofer enclosure (Model BB102-125V) at Crutchfield.com
box is matched nicely to the alpines, and is tuned to 36hz. i'd have a custom box built to 30hz but honestly for the cost difference 6hz isn't that big a deal.

Kicker DS6.2 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield Outlet
front components

Now it's a budget build, and i'm not going crazy or i'd buy all CDT audio stuff. Also why i'm not doing the rear speakers at this point, there's already some 3 way pioneers in there and nobody sits in the back.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

go to sonicelectronix.com there stuff has better prices

Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM

yeah i know alot of there stuff is better priced, and i can even get a powerbass 5 channel amp and eliminate having to figure out where to mount 2 amps. there's a few reasons why i posted crutchfield....1 because it's easy to find the stuff. 2 because some things (like the components for example) will come with the adapters/brackets to mount them that i would otherwise have to fabricate. I'm not set on buying from them, just posting what i found as far as what i wanna do.

Anyone have any ideas as far as amp mounting? pros/cons of doing a single 5 channel amp instead of 2 amps, etc etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 AM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

Im running a 5 channel amp, big pro for me is that I can run my front components actively crossed rather than passivly crossed with the included crossover networks that came with the components. right now I have teh tweeters running from the rear channel of the amp with splitters on the RCA's for the front channel giving signal to both front and rear. this way I can use the gains of the amp to increase or decrease the volume of the tweeters to get the sound levels I want rather than what the components manufacturer wants me to have.

another pro for the 5 channel is that you only have to mount one amp and only have to run one power and ground wire. with my old two amp setup I had to split my power wire and the cheapest power distro box I could find locally was 40 bucks...

Cons are that the 5 channel amps are a bit more expensive and are sometimes a bit bigger. I have the new Alpine that replaced teh PDX-5. it is small yet powerful enough to run my front components actively and my single 10" sub. and run them well it does!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Ok well i've made some changes to what i'm looking at at this point. actually alot of changes haha. here's the revised list. This is the setup i'm 99% on getting. However there's still a few loose ends before i order.

Amp
PowerBass ASA 1100.5x Auto Sound Series 5-Channel Amplifier

Subs
Pair of Kicker 10C104 (10C10-4) 10" 4 ohm Comp Car Subwoofers

(now here's the deal on the subs. I've read reviews and it seems bang for buck these are the best in this price range. if anyone knows any that will produce Crisp clean bass, while still pounding pretty good let me know but at this point these are what i'm lookin at.)

Box.
Sound Ordnance™ Bass Bunker Ported dual 10" subwoofer enclosure (Model BB102-125V) at Crutchfield.com
I will be adding some polyfill to the box.

Front stage
Polk Audio MM6501 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fits 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

I'm pretty well set on everything but the subs, any suggestions for a 250W RMS sub in the ballpark of $50 a piece that would be any better than the kickers as far as crisp, clean, and punch? I know i'll be overpowering them but honestly with the gains set correctly i don't think they'll have any problems handling it.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
nellymerc is on a distinguished road

If you want to make sure it has a nice punch, I wouldn't go with a ported box like you have listed. I would either build a custom box or get a sealed one. I will be building a custom box for my new subs because the box like your buying takes up too much room in the back. I have 3 10"s right now and I can put next to nothing in my trunk. If you have a shop by you that has demos out, take a listed to ported vs sealed. Sealed has a lot more punch and ported has overall bass presence. Punchy to me sounds better. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM

I agree about the space, but I like the overall bass performance as i listen to alot of different kinds of music. I don't mind taking up a lot of space in the back. I'd like to get/build a custom box tuned to 30hz but i don't have a lot of time to do so.

Also, as of right now this project is kinda on the back burner because i had to allocate my stereo funds elsewhere for now.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Beginning Member
charlesarms85 is on a distinguished road

Try this set up out.....the RE's are real nice.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

theres no need to have a box tuned that low unless your doing burps and stuff. 32 would be the lowest to go 35 to 39 would be for everyday listening

Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 99bblazer99
theres no need to have a box tuned that low unless your doing burps and stuff. 32 would be the lowest to go 35 to 39 would be for everyday listening
u dont burp low fqs lol but i do agree on ur good daily tuning my stuff is at 32hz in theory

Quick Reply: My audio build/suggestion thread.