Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   my subs (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/my-subs-56166/)

zr2dan 03-04-2011 12:31 PM

my subs

it aint custom boxes and all that pretty jaz but she pounds to beat hell
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu184/dan529/085.jpg

bobditts 03-04-2011 04:09 PM

please tell me that is NOT how you drive around. Those need to be secured to the vehicle unless you want to die in an accident.

zr2dan 03-04-2011 08:02 PM

the bottom box is anchored to the cargo tie downs and the top box is bolted to the bottom box not only for safety but to insure nobody can carry them out of my blazer but still pounds all to hell i think its makin me def lol people that ride with me tell it makes there chest hurt or makes them feel like they are choking gettin hit in the head with a box is the least of their worries i might colapse a lung or somethin

jagblazer01 03-05-2011 10:00 AM

that looks rediculous...why would you do something like that?? Build a proper box and get 4 identical subs and it will be louder then that monstrosity

dimone545 03-05-2011 10:09 AM

I have to agree with jag..... Though I am sure it pounds like a son of a B**ch it probably doesnt sound very clean and it def does not look very clean. Build a proper box and not only will it look better but I am sure you will be happier with it over all. The only thing I do not agree with is telling you to replace subs just so they match. Yes it is ideal for a perfect sound but for most people, the sound difference is barely even noticeable. I personally think that the color contrast could look cool if the box was built correctly.

zr2dan 03-05-2011 12:13 PM

look guys im not trying to win a stereo compition and those speakers sound good there is no distortion when it hits every type of music i play sounds good i wasnt tryin to show off i was just trying to get around in this forum not tryin to get ridiculed you want to know what i think..... i think its stupid to spend 800 to 1000 bucks on a sub and all that time building fiberglass boxes and other fitted enclosers i got 600 bucks in those boxes and subs 500 in the amps a 300 dollar stereo and a 60 dollars worth of wire and every time i cruise the strip people break there necks to get a peep at whats rattling there mirrors and windows its my junky ass boxes and mismatched subs

01vortec 03-05-2011 02:04 PM

I'm sure people just look because it's another annoying person with a stereo with no respect for other people. Not everyone cares to hear you have a big stereo.

bobditts 03-05-2011 02:56 PM

how are they secured to the hold downs? They dont look secured to me at all. You do have 2 seperate amps for the 2 different enclosure right?

loud97 03-05-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by zr2dan (Post 414947)
look guys im not trying to win a stereo compition and those speakers sound good there is no distortion when it hits every type of music i play sounds good i wasnt tryin to show off i was just trying to get around in this forum not tryin to get ridiculed you want to know what i think..... i think its stupid to spend 800 to 1000 bucks on a sub and all that time building fiberglass boxes and other fitted enclosers i got 600 bucks in those boxes and subs 500 in the amps a 300 dollar stereo and a 60 dollars worth of wire and every time i cruise the strip people break there necks to get a peep at whats rattling there mirrors and windows its my junky ass boxes and mismatched subs

ouch :icon_no:

nickyb123 03-05-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by loud97 (Post 415023)
ouch :icon_no:

No sh!t dude you got ripped

There's a difference between a adding a sub to your system to enhance the sound of your music and adding a massively mismatched amount of bass that is there just so other people a block away can think your badazz, you said yourself that you aren't in to competing

zr2dan 03-05-2011 11:01 PM

well in that pic the subs where not secured if you notice the date on the pic that was 3 years ago and yes there are 2 amps and they are both adjusted slightly different because the subs are different WELL MAYBE I WOULD BE COOL IF I HAD CUSTOM ENCLOSURE AND MATCHING SUBS AND BIG MONEY UP IN MY SYSTEM but i dont so whatever or maybe your just a bunch of haters

nickyb123 03-05-2011 11:41 PM

I don't think anybody is trying to be a hater dude... just wondering whats the point of your setup. There's no reason to give yourself hearing damage, I would think the subs would drown out the rest of the music. You could probably get by with just one of the boxes, and at the same time it would look a lot cleaner.

If you really wanted that much bass, you probably could build a box to hold all 4 for pretty cheap (like less than 60 bucks). Plus you would be able to see out your rear glass.

dimone545 03-06-2011 09:18 AM

I know I wasnt hating in any form. I have a system that hurts you just like his does but I did it with 2 12", I also upgraded all the surrounding speakers and put an amp on them so that I could still here the music and not all bass. I hate when people drive around bumping and all you here is the bass, whats the point of that, why not amplify the whole system so that you can here the "music" the way its supposed to be heard......

By the way, your right that he could build the box for cheaper than 60 bucks. If he has a drill, a jigsaw and a skill saw he could build it for like 35 bucks if he doesnt carpet it. 25 bucks for a sheet of 3/4" mdf, 5 bucks for silicone, and like 5 bucks in screws.... If he wants to carpet it then it would cost him maybe another 10 to 15 bucks in carpet and adhesive.

zr2dan 03-06-2011 11:56 AM

well guys thanks for the nicer comments instead of bashing me you offered info thats a little easier for me to handle but anyways i just took the 2 infinity subs out just gonna stick to the 2 pioneers i wired them one to each amp i dont have all the pressure inside now and i can hear my supercharger better

01vortec 03-06-2011 12:34 PM

I would've stuck with the Infinitys as they're in a ported box and it'll give you a bit more output than the sealed Pioneers.

I lol at people who try to say their average systems "Hurt" people.

BlazinClinton 03-06-2011 01:49 PM

i had a pair of those EXACT pioneers in my Lumina, and theyre now in the back of my blazer waiting for an amp install, those things are overkill on their own if you ask me!

my lumina was falling apart, every few months i had to take the door panels off and re loktite and tighten the window tracks and door locks and crap, everything was falling apart and i was under powering them too! i could shake cars next to me as well with just the two subs.

what kind of alternator do you have to power all those watts?
what does it sound like from the outside at full volume? like how much stuff rattles?

BlazinClinton 03-06-2011 01:53 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/3740458807/sizes/l/
this is another thing that happened to my trunk, it blew it wide open and only the wiring for the release was left connected, doing nothing. lol i had to drill out the bolt holes and used a pair of 1/2" carriage bolts with 1/4" spacers fished in behind and flange nuts on top of the release unit and it never had another problem again!

dimone545 03-06-2011 02:18 PM

I lol at people who try to say their average systems "Hurt" people.[/quote]

There are plenty of people who could easily have an "average system" and still hurt people. When I used to work in a stereo shop I was amazed sometims at the systems that would come through there on a tiny budget. In my opinion the box is the most important part of the system, sure it helps to spend the big bucks on quality equipment but for the most part the average ear will be happy with a lower quality brand if the box is built to the correct specs. It also all depends on what you want. I use to be all about getting the maximum amount of db's out of my systems but now I like the cleaner and more responsive sound of asealed enclosure. I use to always use a vented box becuase if they are built right you can make an 8 hit like a 12 so imagine what 2 12's would have sounded like.......

By the way, i have built a few comp systems so I know what a system can sound like but you dont need 170+ db's to hurt someone.....

BlazinClinton 03-06-2011 04:15 PM

put the pioneers in the vented box and run em off one amp! why bother with two?

bobditts 03-06-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415232)

I LOL at people who think average systems cant cause eardrum damage.

A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

01vortec 03-06-2011 08:58 PM

except for the fact the audible frequency of lighting and the frequency of a gunshot are not even close to the amplified audible frequencies their subs are going to produce.

BlazinClinton 03-06-2011 10:12 PM

isnt it high tone ranges that do more damage?

bobditts 03-06-2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415360)
except for the fact the audible frequency of lighting and the frequency of a gunshot are not even close to the amplified audible frequencies their subs are going to produce.

the frequency doesnt matter. Its the decibel level. Thats like saying which weighs more a 10 pound feather or a 10 pound bowling ball?

01vortec 03-06-2011 11:50 PM

decibel level is true, but human hearing is much more sensitive at higher frequencies, most average systems are maybe 120-140db at less than 50hz, hearing damage is much less likely in those frequencies.

bobditts 03-07-2011 07:16 AM

That may be so, but prolonged exposure to loud noises at any frequency will cause damage.

zr2dan 03-07-2011 12:04 PM

the guy that runs the stereo shop told me i was as loud as a train he told me the exact numbers but its been 3 years ago i dont remember he had a instrument the measured db and spl they got a volkswagon beetle in the store it has 2 jl w7 i guess they are 11inch i think and jl audio amps and that little buger is loud beat like hell it was much louder than my 4 12s but those subs where 800$ a piece and the amps where 900$ i think its been a long time since i even priced new equipment my stuff still works so no need to replace

chevytruckdood 03-07-2011 02:17 PM

my minitruck only has 2 twelves and im hitting 162 db. theres tons of little things you can do. i wouldnt have a system that loud in in daily driver. NO WAY. first off im to tempted to always have it bumping. and two my hearing is precious to me.

in my daily- the blazer im looking at doing something as small as possible beacause i use my cargo space alot. and travel alot. .

one thing you could add to your stereo?- dynamat. Ive got dynamat under every possible area in my s10. maybe a secondary battery or high output amp?
move up to monster cable? kick panel speakers?
make your own box out of MDF? i really really hope your not using a store bought cheapie box?... just some ideas sir not trying to hate by any means. anyway i can help i dont mind.

01vortec 03-07-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood (Post 415520)
my minitruck only has 2 twelves and im hitting 162 db. theres tons of little things you can do. i wouldnt have a system that loud in in daily driver. NO WAY. first off im to tempted to always have it bumping. and two my hearing is precious to me.

There's no way you're hitting 162db with 2 12s. I highly doubt you're even over 145.

chevytruckdood 03-07-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415524)
There's no way you're hitting 162db with 2 12s. I highly doubt you're even over 145.

Im not going to argue the point, i have no proof. Ive never taking to any kind of stereo competition. I had all the work done at Boomers Audio in Tulsa,Ok. I have no way to prove it unless i can find my receipt from the install. They have a dB meter. and thats what they said it hit. It ridiculously loud. there maybe no possible way to do that with 2 twelves. i dont know. Stereo isnt my forte- thats why i paid for the install. They could be lieing to me. Im sorry if i have false information, im really not meaning to lie about what my truck hits.
heck currently there is no stereo in the truck. its comepletly empty on inside of truck for the bodydrop.

The only reason i took it to them was they sponsored one of my club member's s10s, (custom door panels with 2 8s on each), with a cab-to-bed blow thru- 4 kinetic batteries, and all sorts of goodies. ill try to find some pictures of the setup, but he doesnt talk to me anymore since hes been recently going to jail alot (lol) -

bobditts 03-07-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zr2dan (Post 415506)
measured db and spl

Db AND spl? that is nuts! lol:icon_playing:

zr2dan 03-07-2011 08:32 PM

well im content with what i got for now im building my blazer piece by piece i do performance then some dress up then some suspension and back and forth this year i spent a bundle on performance and i got some other plans before i get to stereo but i would like to get new door and rear side panel speakers next but i want to get a replacement that fits in the factory grilles but thats down the road a ways

dwhittaker 03-07-2011 09:29 PM

matching subs, not really necessary, yes, ideal, not necessary. i would build a single box tuned to specs, it'll look better and sound better. if you are worried about appearance, invert mount two of the subs so it's not as obvious. what the hell, why not?

01vortec 03-08-2011 10:28 AM

matching (or atleast extremely similar) subs are absolutely a necessity if you're building a single box for them all.

bobditts 03-08-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415781)
matching (or atleast extremely similar) subs are absolutely a necessity if you're building a single box for them all.

only true if the subs are sharing airspace. If it is one enclosure with seperate airspace, then youre good to go. JNot saying I would ever do it, but there is nothing wrong with it (mechanically)

01vortec 03-09-2011 12:49 AM

hence why I said single box for them all, ie, shared airspace.

bobditts 03-09-2011 07:05 AM

I knew what you meant. I was just clarifying for everyone else incase they didnt. You can still have 1 enclosure but different airspace. Just like 1 house with several rooms. :icon_wink:

BlazinClinton 03-09-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bobditts (Post 416029)
I knew what you meant. I was just clarifying for everyone else incase they didnt. You can still have 1 enclosure but different airspace. Just like 1 house with several rooms. :icon_wink:

as long as those rooms dont include mushrooms!

JShark 03-15-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415232)

Originally Posted by bobditts (Post 415401)
the frequency doesnt matter. Its the decibel level. Thats like saying which weighs more a 10 pound feather or a 10 pound bowling ball?

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415406)
decibel level is true, but human hearing is much more sensitive at higher frequencies, most average systems are maybe 120-140db at less than 50hz, hearing damage is much less likely in those frequencies.

Originally Posted by 01vortec (Post 415360)

why do you wear hearing protection when you fire a gun then?

did you just dig your own grave or what?

vortec is why i left this fourm... he blabbers out random bull **** then switches it up like thats what he ment to say after he is corrected, yet he still trys to prove his first point. look at what you just said, say it out loud. just because you have a bomb ass system that alot of people on here envy doesnt mean you need to throw your weight around like your the king and ****... congrats i dub you dip **** of all time.

regardless of what vortec says, low or high, 140 dbs is 140 dbs. iv wasted enough time on vortec so im not going to go to in depth but here is a link for anyone who cares that in 5 to 10 years there most used words are "what" or "huh". http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

blazinloud 03-16-2011 10:20 AM

I know going to a concert hurts my ears ALOT more than a phat 30hz sine wave in my jimmy.

just saying theres worse things (impact guns) that people put their ears through than a moderate daily system.

01vortec 03-18-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JShark (Post 417798)
just because you have a bomb ass system that alot of people on here envy doesnt mean you need to throw your weight around like your the king and ****... congrats i dub you dip **** of all time.

wow you're awesome! too bad I never once thought that way, or even remotely acted that way. Sorry you felt the need to lay that out there though.

no **** 140db is 140db, time for YOU sir to look at what I said, higher frequencies hurt hearing alot more as the human ear is much more sensitive than it is as lower frequencies. I never said damage cannot occur, did I? NOPE!

good job bashing, though.