Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

need some help connecting power wire to battery

Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road
Default need some help connecting power wire to battery

Installed my system today and ran into a problem. I cant figure out how to connect the power wire to the battery. Sounds dumb I know.

My battery is the one with the bolts that connect into the side of the battery. Like most of yours im assuming.

My problem is I cant get the wire ring to fit around the bolt so that the bolt can actually twist back into the battery. Im losing my mind trying to figure this one out is there a adapter pat im missing or what?

Im almost to the point where im going to buy a new battery that has both the side bolt connections and the top terminals. It would make it alot easier and I have an adapter that came with my kit for the top terminal.

Any other cheaper suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
JST4SHO is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there is a side terminal GM extension for accessories, makes it so much easier. Got mine from AutoZone.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

can you drill the ring terminal slightly larger to fit?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member
fammyman is on a distinguished road

Hey OP or anyone else how did you get the power cable into the cab ????? Im installing mine tomorrow and as of now gonna run it through the door till I can figure something else out. As for you battery issue chase the wire off the teminal back to where it bolts elswhere and mount it there.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fammyman
As for you battery issue chase the wire off the teminal back to where it bolts elswhere and mount it there.
is it just me or does this make absolutely no sense?

Fammy, instead of jacking someone elses thread, try doing a simple search first. That topic has been covered SEVERAL times.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
fammyman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bobditts
is it just me or does this make absolutely no sense?

Fammy, instead of jacking someone elses thread, try doing a simple search first. That topic has been covered SEVERAL times.
My apologies was not trying to hijak. As for my latter part of the post it was an answer I got when I googled and it made sense. I am not the most eloquent sorry.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

if your still looking they make and accessory bolt that threads into the battery on one side, then has threads on the other side with a nut and lock washer for ring terminals. I suggest going to the welding section of a store and getting the big copper ring terminals. Or if your really ambitious you can make your own with copper pipe. I dont think the gold plated ones are worth it

Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I ended up just shelling out the cash for a new dual terminal battery. lol it was my quickest option.

I did try drilling out the terminal it was a pita and looked like it would work but the threads on the bolt to catch the battery. but no all is good and I have yet a new issue im dealing with.

My subwoofer is playing fine but the negative wire running from the sub to the amp keeps getting hot so hot it melted. I tried rewiring the sub into the box and the the box to the amp but ended up with the same results. Maybe I need larger guage wire? I have always ran those wires with normal speaker wire with no problems.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM

something isnt wired correctly. ca you draw us a diagram of how it is currently wired?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Well I did my best to make it as clear as possible.

What I did was wire the positive to the positive terminal on the speaker then connected the two wires to a single wire that I ran to the box positive. I done the same with the negative and then ran the positive and negative wires to the amp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some help connecting power wire to battery