Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Need a Speaker Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Gvnorris is on a distinguished road
Default Need a Speaker Recommendation

First off, hello, I'm new to the forum.

Second, I've been looking to replace my stock sound system for a while. I have a 2000 four door S-10 Blazer without the Bose system. I've done a ton of research ( ) on how to do it but I still have a few questions left on selecting the type of system to put in.

I've considered a number of different options. One being getting rid of the component system in the front for 2-way speakers in the front and back. One being replacing the tweeters in front with actual 4x6's. One being saving money by buying some cheaper speakers just for the front and spending it on a 10" sub, enclosure and amp. One being purchasing a 4-channel amp 50Wx4 and amping all of the speakers or getting a 2-channel amp and only amping the front speakers.

I've also talked to a bunch of people (friends, family, family friends, crutchfield, idiotic best buy employees) and I've narrowed down my selection of the head unit to the Alpine CDE-121 and planning on buying an amp. I've been discouraged from keeping the component system up front, but I've heard that it makes the bass sound better (slightly reducing the need for a sub) and the high's brighter since they are closer to your head.

Should I keep the component system or ditch it for some 2-way's?

Should I get some 4x6's if I ditch the component system?

What component speakers should I get?

What 2-way's should I get?

Should I get an amp?

Should I only amp the front speakers or all of them?

Should I buy the Alpine power pack amp to save on space and easier installation?

Where should I put the amp if I don't get the Alpine one?

What kind of amp should I get?

What 2-way's should I get for the back?

Should I save the money on the back speakers and buy a sub?

What have I not asked?

I'm kind of on a limited budget (just graduated high school, going to college, no job yet ) and I would like decent bass without a sub, but I really just want a real clean and bright sounding system that can get loud.

Sorry in advance for all of the questions

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Components up front, put the tweeters in the dash. I like CDT audio components available at woofersetc.com Good sound for a reasonable price. A 4 channel amp can drive components and bridge channel 3-4 for a modest sub. Drive the rear speakers off the head unit.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Gvnorris is on a distinguished road

Do you have any recommendations for a good relatively cheap 4-channel amp. I've been looking at a kenwood 350 watt 4-channel on amazon for only $60.

edit: Also, do you know if the CDT 6.5" fit in the front door panel?