Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

no sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member
satman52 is on a distinguished road
Default no sound

I have a weird audio problem. I have a 2001 LS Blazer 4 dr. with the factory AM-FM-CD with cassette deck in the floor console. One day on the way to work the audio just quit. The radio is on, the station number displays and when I change station the new one displays. By accident I discovered that if I play with the electric door lock button back and forth, once in awhile the audio will come on for a split second and go back off. I've had the door panel off a couple times looking for a pinched or shorted wire but found nothing. Why would the door lock have anything to do with the radio sound. I'm stumped. Please help, I'm starting to sing to myself and believe me No one want's that! Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by satman52; 06-14-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

A lot of the systems on the Blazers are interconnected through the Body Control Module (BCC). You are probably on the right track looking for a pinched or loose wire.

Have you taken the dash cover off to check the radio connections?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by satman52
I have a weird audio problem. I have a 2001 LS Blazer 4 dr. with the factory AM-FM-CD with cassette deck in the floor console. One day on the way to work the audio just quit. The radio is on, the station number displays and when I change station the new one displays. By accident I discovered that if I play with the electric door lock button back and forth, once in awhile the audio will come on for a split second and go back off. I've had the door panel off a couple times looking for a pinched or shorted wire but found nothing. Why would the door lock have anything to do with the radio sound. I'm stumped. Please help, I'm starting to sing to myself and believe me No one want's that! Any help is appreciated.
Operating door locks shouldn't have anything to do with the radio sound. One thing you might want to check is if the cassette system is somehow preventing the radio from working. As I understand it, the cassette system sends a signal to the radio to automatically switch over when you insert a tape. The radio could be switched to the cassette input. I would think unplugging the connector at the cassette player would eliminate this possibility. Who plays tapes anymore, and is it really still working after 18 years.

You can easily check to see if there is a short (internal or external) that is dragging the entire sound system down, but you will need a multimeter and to remove the radio. Unplug the speaker wire connector from the radio and test each speaker circuit with a multimeter. Should be able to read the resistance of your speaker and wiring (check speakers for internal shorts). Also check the resistance of each wire in each speaker circuit to vehicle ground with the multimeter (checking for external shorts) - there should not be any continuity in this case. If a wire is shorted to ground in a door, this is where you will see it. Here are the wiring diagrams (scroll down to second post where 4 diagrams are shown) - note some are for external amplifier and some are for the internal amplifier radio. Speaker wire color should be the same in either, though.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/c...r-radio-wiring

Good luck!

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-19-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't taken off the dash cover yet. I still don't understand why the door locks would have anything to do with sound from the speakers. Guess I'll keep looking.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your reply also. I'm stumped too about the door locks but it does make the speakers come on for a second when I play back and forth with lock button. Sometimes I have to do it several times to make it happen. This is really weird. Maybe I've got gremlins.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

I unhooked cassette deck with no results. I have removed all 4 door panels and looked for any broke wires. I have since noticed that window buttons aren't working on passenger door and both back doors however I can control the windows with the switches in the driver door. Someone mentioned that the problem could be in the body control module. Where is it and how do I reset it. Thanks

Old 07-02-2019, 05:01 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by satman52
I have since noticed that window buttons aren't working on passenger door and both back doors however I can control the windows with the switches in the driver door.
The child safety switch (above the window buttons on the driver's side) isn't pushed over to lock, is it...?