Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

No speakers work

Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 AM
Beginning Member
Fatguy9 is on a distinguished road
Default No speakers work

The other day I bought a 2000 Blazer and no speakers work, The guy who sold it to me said "the speakers were working and just went out the other day" He also told me that the guy before him had a sub installed.. The head unit is a Sony one. I checked all the fuses in the dash and under the hood and they all were fine I also checked the fuse in the actual head unit and it was also fine. I don't have a clue on what to do next. Under the glove compartment it looks like there are some cut wires but I feel like maybe that went to the sub.

Does any one have an idea on what I could do next? Would it be easy to just re wire all the speaker wires and start it fresh if that's the problem?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The factory speakers in these things are notorious for just dying without a reason. However, if very many of them were working at all and then one day just quit it's hard to believe the speakers themselves all quit at one time together.

Take a little speaker, from your house or wherever you can source one and temporarily hook it up at one of the speaker locations. If it plays then the speakers most likely did just all go at once. If it doesn't then there's a good chance the internal amp in the HU took a crap. In that case you might see if you can source one to borrow and hook up temporarily to see if everything starts working correctly again. If it does then you'll know you need a new HU.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
The factory speakers in these things are notorious for just dying without a reason. However, if very many of them were working at all and then one day just quit it's hard to believe the speakers themselves all quit at one time together.

Take a little speaker, from your house or wherever you can source one and temporarily hook it up at one of the speaker locations. If it plays then the speakers most likely did just all go at once. If it doesn't then there's a good chance the internal amp in the HU took a crap. In that case you might see if you can source one to borrow and hook up temporarily to see if everything starts working correctly again. If it does then you'll know you need a new HU.
Is there a way i can test the head unit without another speaker? Could i just check if the speakers are getting power to them or something like that? Also is it just the head unit that connects to the speakers or is there something in between that could have messed up too?

Old 05-25-2015, 06:21 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

You could use a multimeter with a continuity test (the beep) and with the radio unplugged you can touch the positive probe to the positive wire and the negative to the negative for each speaker and if the meter beeps then the speakers are fine.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 PM

If you don't have any other speaker lying around then I suppose you could use an AC volt meter to see if there's any voltage coming out of the HU at the speaker terminals. That's about the two easiest ways possible to test that.

Jake also has a point. The continuity test will tell you if the speakers aren't blown.

Otherwise, there's not typically anything in between the amp outputs of the HU and the speakers. That would all depend on the previous owner's audio setup and what they had hooked up and installed. For example, they could have installed and hidden a small four channel amplifier. Cutting of any of the wiring going to or from that amp without knowing what it was could result in all the speakers not working at one time. That's just one example, but any scenario could apply if you don't know what was done before.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 AM
Beginning Member

If you don't have any other speaker lying around then I suppose you could use an AC volt meter to see if there's any voltage coming out of the HU at the speaker terminals. That's about the two easiest ways possible to test that.

Jake also has a point. The continuity test will tell you if the speakers aren't blown.

Otherwise, there's not typically anything in between the amp outputs of the HU and the speakers. That would all depend on the previous owner's audio setup and what they had hooked up and installed. For example, they could have installed and hidden a small four channel amplifier. Cutting of any of the wiring going to or from that amp without knowing what it was could result in all the speakers not working at one time. That's just one example, but any scenario could apply if you don't know what was done before.
I got a new head unit and still the same problem, From what ive read could bad grounding be the cause of them all not working? This weekend im planning to take off all the pannels and take a look at the speakers.. Any tips for checking everything? where would the grounding be so i can check it

also the door speakers are infinity speakers and not stock if that makes a difference, Im thinking it could be a bad wire but what would be the best way to check for bad wires?

Also i wired up the new harness that came with the new radio and it was all good, The one that plugs into the head unit plugged into another harness (with all the speaker wires) and they all seemed good and plugged in

Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM

It almost sounds as though there's an amp or something like that in there between the HU and the speakers. These trucks do not have a common ground speaker system like the vehicles from many years ago did. All the wires come from and go directly back to the HU for each speaker. The only "bad" ground could be the one for the HU itself so if it's powering on it's got to be okay.

The only possible issue with the wiring is the possibility that you have one that is damaged and very shorted to ground somewhere. The internal amp of the HU would sense that short and not turn on/output anything so as to protect itself.

Other than that, and the other things that were mentioned earlier by Jake and myself, it would be hard to imagine anything else potentially wrong with it without putting my hands on it and having a look at it.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member

It almost sounds as though there's an amp or something like that in there between the HU and the speakers. These trucks do not have a common ground speaker system like the vehicles from many years ago did. All the wires come from and go directly back to the HU for each speaker. The only "bad" ground could be the one for the HU itself so if it's powering on it's got to be okay.

The only possible issue with the wiring is the possibility that you have one that is damaged and very shorted to ground somewhere. The internal amp of the HU would sense that short and not turn on/output anything so as to protect itself.

Other than that, and the other things that were mentioned earlier by Jake and myself, it would be hard to imagine anything else potentially wrong with it without putting my hands on it and having a look at it.
So i figured out the problem, What ever wires were in there i disconected them and just hooked up the speaker wires straight to the head unit and it worked, What threw me off was all the extra wires from the last person who had what ever else in it but now they seem to be all good, Thanks so much for your help guys