Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

From one factory radio to another

Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM
v8vette84 is on a distinguished road
Default From one factory radio to another

Is it possible to just swap out my 99' Radio for a radio in an 04' Blazer?

This...

To this...

I know I need the double din bezel but I'm curious about the wiring. Is it a simple plug and play or are the mounts different or the wiring?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails From one factory radio to another-f5ce7c1ce1_640_zpsfqu3gxj0.jpg   From one factory radio to another-10163270_zpsunkqw0ws.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 PM

I feel Like I like the first radio more but I want to upgrade BUT I want to keep the factory look. I HATE the way aftermarket radios look in cars. They almost Never match the design of the interor. It looks so out of place to me. Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 AM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

I believe you'd have to swap the plastic dash trim as well. I want to say the 04 is a full double din while the 99 is a 1.5 din. And you'd have to look at the wiring and make sure the 04 radio would plug in correctly.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The radio from the 04 is VIN coded, and must be programmed to the vehicle using a capable Tech2 tool. It also uses a completely different plug. I doubt you could do the swap without also needing to reflash or replace the BCM. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to try to swap, and it likely will offer very little benefit.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Just wondering why would you like to go thru the headache of installing another factory radio? The first radio/ deck looks like 1 1/2 din and the second looks like double din, by the time you go they the hastle of all this modifications to try it u can get a decent aftermarket which will have better sound quality as well than those factory ones. I'm just curious

Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ricco
Just wondering why would you like to go thru the headache of installing another factory radio? The first radio/ deck looks like 1 1/2 din and the second looks like double din, by the time you go they the hastle of all this modifications to try it u can get a decent aftermarket which will have better sound quality as well than those factory ones. I'm just curious
I HATE the way aftermarket radios look in most vehicles. Some aftermarket radios look ok but 90% look SO out of place to me. To me it would be like changing one gauge in the cluster to a fancy gauge and leaving the rest plain looking. It just doesn't look right to me.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 PM

I found a kit that uses the slave tape player connection and adds a dual AUX and I have decided to take that route. I like the factory look and the sound quality is pretty good. Plus I really doubt 95% of listeners can tell the difference in sound quality from a Delco radio to say a Polk or Pioneer anyways. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I HATE the way aftermarket radios look in most vehicles. Some aftermarket radios look ok but 90% look SO out of place to me. To me it would be like changing one gauge in the cluster to a fancy gauge and leaving the rest plain looking. It just doesn't look right to me.
Gotcha, totally respect your opinion. Was just curious.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM
dharvey4651 is on a distinguished road

Not all aftermarket radios look bad. This is what my dashboard looks like with my old clarion double din. Recently upgraded to a pioneer with mirror link but as you can see, if installed properly, it can look good.

Attached Thumbnails From one factory radio to another-fb_img_1442629442296.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM
DEM0N is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dharvey4651
Not all aftermarket radios look bad. This is what my dashboard looks like with my old clarion double din. Recently upgraded to a pioneer with mirror link but as you can see, if installed properly, it can look good.
THAT is almost EXACTLY what I want to do to my 2002 Blazer LS 4-Door 4x4 that I bought last week...Because I want the backup camera, in-dash Navigation & I want the Bluetooth hands free cell phone & music streaming capability from my iPhone 6 Plus. I already have the blue interior LED lights on order. But my 2002 Blazer is 1.5 Din...& I see the double DIN dash bezels for sale on eBay for like around $100... But I'm not really looking to build a serious ground shaking sound system or anything more-so looking to modernize/update the electronics...

Attached Thumbnails From one factory radio to another-26158d1442629590-one-factory-radio-another-fb_img_1442629442296.jpg  

Last edited by DEM0N; 09-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: From one factory radio to another