Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

From one factory radio to another

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:21 PM
DEM0N is on a distinguished road

So, as a follow-up... I guess what I'm asking is if anyone makes a 1.5 Din head unit capable of being used for a back-up camera monitor & Bluetooth or at the very least a front Aux input...

Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DEM0N
So, as a follow-up... I guess what I'm asking is if anyone makes a 1.5 Din head unit capable of being used for a back-up camera monitor & Bluetooth or at the very least a front Aux input...
I have a double din in my 95 I'm sure yours will fit it even better, I have everything u want on mine including backup camera, honestly u can get the kit for way cheaper, I bought everything kit wise for under 100 I believe, meaning double din kit and even the backup camera with IR for night time.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 PM
dharvey4651 is on a distinguished road

THAT is almost EXACTLY what I want to do to my 2002 Blazer LS 4-Door 4x4 that I bought last week...Because I want the backup camera, in-dash Navigation & I want the Bluetooth hands free cell phone & music streaming capability from my iPhone 6 Plus. I already have the blue interior LED lights on order. But my 2002 Blazer is 1.5 Din...& I see the double DIN dash bezels for sale on eBay for like around $100... But I'm not really looking to build a serious ground shaking sound system or anything more-so looking to modernize/update the electronics...
My blazer is a 2000 and came from the factory with a 1.5 din opening. I bought the bezel on eBay and paid about $90 if I remember.

I do not have a ground shaking power house system either. Not really interested to be honest. A set of good high quality speakers is all I have.

One thing to keep in mind when converting from a 1.5 din to a double din is that not only is the bezel's radio opening a different size but the actual dash opening is different as well.

The factory 1.5 din radio is wider than a standard single or double din thanks to the heat sink mounted on the side of the factory radio. This means that the mounting points are too far apart to use a conventional plastic mounting kit. In fact, I'm fairly positive that no "kit" exists to convert a blazer's 1.5 din to a double.

I had to fabricate one of a kind metal brackets that screw to the sides of the radio and mount to the factory location.

Also, the factory radio support bracket inside the dash will need to be trimmed down in order to clear the taller frame of the double din. I took too much off when I did mine so I fabricated my own custom radio support bracket using 1" rubber hose(coolant or fuel... Just a normal rubber hose) from any auto parts store, cut just right and epoxied to the old radio support bracket. It acts as a vibration isolation and support and actually works extremely well.

Putting a double din radio in my 2000 wasn't a simple project but I couldn't be happier with the end result.

Attached below are 2 photos I took this morning of my new 2015 model Pioneer AVH-X2700BS that I installed the weekend before last. A nice step up from the Clarion I had before and just makes me that much happier that I took the time to do the project in the first place.

Attached Thumbnails From one factory radio to another-imag0238.jpg   From one factory radio to another-imag0237.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

THAT is almost EXACTLY what I want to do to my 2002 Blazer LS 4-Door 4x4 that I bought last week...Because I want the backup camera, in-dash Navigation & I want the Bluetooth hands free cell phone & music streaming capability from my iPhone 6 Plus. I already have the blue interior LED lights on order. But my 2002 Blazer is 1.5 Din...& I see the double DIN dash bezels for sale on eBay for like around $100... But I'm not really looking to build a serious ground shaking sound system or anything more-so looking to modernize/update the electronics...
Hello Damon, so I have an idea since perhaps Having a double din can be a nightmare, what about a single din with motorized screen? U can have up to 7" display, I personally haven't grow an interest for this style of radio but perhaps it might be for your advantage and to fit all your needs of navigation, Bluetooth and backup camera, if desired even DVD . Just trying to help out and give out some ideas

Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ricco
Hello Damon, so I have an idea since perhaps Having a double din can be a nightmare, what about a single din with motorized screen? U can have up to 7" display, I personally haven't grow an interest for this style of radio but perhaps it might be for your advantage and to fit all your needs of navigation, Bluetooth and backup camera, if desired even DVD . Just trying to help out and give out some ideas
Those work but will block the center vents when the screen is not retracted. A compromise I wasn't willing to make.

And having a double din isn't a nightmare, it's just a lot of work and requires some creativity.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM
DEM0N is on a distinguished road

Well, after work today I loaded the JC Whitney app into my new iPad mini 3 & I was looking at things and I found this...I'm going to post the link to the product on JC Whitney's website, aside from in-dash backup cam this claims to offer everything I am looking for... It claims 1.5 Din Direct-Swappable with OEM...what do you guys think?!
RetroSound - Newport Car Stereos - JCWhitney

Old 09-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Well, after work today I loaded the JC Whitney app into my new iPad mini 3 & I was looking at things and I found this...I'm going to post the link to the product on JC Whitney's website, aside from in-dash backup cam this claims to offer everything I am looking for... It claims 1.5 Din Direct-Swappable with OEM...what do you guys think?!
RetroSound - Newport Car Stereos - JCWhitney
I say to each his own when it comes to that radio lol. I'm not a fan of the way it looks nor the lack of features that I use daily such as a touch screen with Bluetooth Pandora and backup camera and RDS. I'm a big fan of touch screen style controls but everyone has their own style.

Edit - found this radio here that might be more to your liking. It's a single din frame but will occupy the 1.5 din opening and has a bundle of features the radio you linked to didn't have.

Amazon.com: Absolute DMR-480BT 4.8-Inch In-Dash Multimedia Touch Screen System with Detachable Front Panel Face and Built Bluetooth USB/SD: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Absolute DMR-480BT 4.8-Inch In-Dash Multimedia Touch Screen System with Detachable Front Panel Face and Built Bluetooth USB/SD: Car Electronics

This radio is a single din chassis but if mounted in the center of the opening in the dash would fit nicely and do most everything you want it to do.

A dash kit like this would be required-

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...690660&alt=web

Last edited by dharvey4651; 09-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Or this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...962412&alt=web

The one above uses a single din chassis but if mounted in the center of the opening in your dash would fit nicely and look good.

Or this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...794846&alt=web

This one would also fit but you would need to buy a dash kit that mounted the radio at the top of the opening with a pocket below the radio. The pocket would be blocked but the radio would fill the opening in your dash completely and look good.

An install kit like this "should" work

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...289946&alt=web

Both offer many of the features you're looking for including a touch screen and would fit a 1.5 din opening.

Last edited by dharvey4651; 09-23-2015 at 08:24 AM.