Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

One sub hitting harder

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member
alpinesubs is on a distinguished road
Default One sub hitting harder

Hey guys this is my first post so please be kind. But anyways this one has me pretty stumped. I have 2 Alpine Type R 12 subs in a sealed, single chamber box. The subs are the 2 ohm version and the box I built myself to alpine specs (about .9 CF per sub). Both subs being pushed by one Alpine MRP-M1000 amp, each sub getting about 500 rms each wired each at 2 ohms. So I have had this setup going for a couple weeks but about a week ago I started to notice one of my subs was hitting harder than the other. It is not THAT bad but I could clearly see the excursion on the one was quite a bit more than the other one and I could physically feel the difference between subs so Im thinking it would be louder if both were hitting there full potential and it bothers me that one is not putting out as much. So what could be the problem, could it be the wire I used (8 Gauge)? The box not having seperate chambers? Am I just stupid and didn't have the one screwd down tight?? Another thing is since they are wired to 2 ohms, I had to twist the wires together at the one that isn't hittting as hard could that be the problem?
Thanks in advance guys!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member
Bielat16 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I have had this problem with one of my old kicker 12's. My problem was that the amp was broke, the left audio jack was busted and only let it hit half as hard. When you mean you twisted your wires on the one what do you mean? Did you have to put two wires together to make long enough to reach the amp. I have ran systems like that and it never did that, but i wouldn't recommend doing it. When you wired your sub to you amp could you possibly have put the positive and negative in the wrong spot?
Hope this helps.

Stephen

Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Could be how you have it wired at the amp. How is it wired?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

hold up.... how did you wire the subs?

if they're the dual 2 ohm subs you wired each sub in series to create 2, 4 ohm loads right? then wired the subs in parallel to create said final 2 ohm load. instead of wiring them from sub one to sub 2, why don't you try splitting right from the connection from the box.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

^^ agreed. but I had the same settup as you for a day and I hated how it sounded

Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

he has a mono block amp so its not the amp because there is only one terminal. it could be the box though maybe one side is bigger then the other. type r's make me want to puke in a sealed box.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

ahhh if I were you I'd sell the two subs and that crap sealed box and buy 1 sub that hits are hard as the 2 combine, then you won't have to worry about the subs hitting the same

Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
BF Veteran

also, a single 12 will take up much less space... trunk space is a great thing. thats why i went with 1 12. i'm not happy with the ported box though. i'm going to build a sealed box soon and see which i prefer. i'm a sealed box guy more than ported. i like crisp bass

Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
alpinesubs is on a distinguished road

Hey whats up guys thanks for all the help. and to everyone that said the type r subs in sealed box suck your right. Im hoping to buy a ported box soon. I found a prefab that is right on with Alpine specs. Also while I love my type r's I shouldn't have been so set on them. Don't get me wrong they are the best subs I have ever had but I couldve got a 18 inch Fi BTL for like 100 bucks more but I was concerned on how much power and space that would take up but luckily Im doing the AD244 upgrade soon. As for the wiring of the subs I used 8 gauge wire so I have the subs wired down to 2 ohms load to the actual amp like this...
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=22
it is the second one down but instead of wire going from neg to neg on the coil it is Alpine's jumper system. and you can see where the main positive and negative wires split off nd one goes to one sub and the other to the second sub. This is where I think the problem is. I have never ran a setup like this so I just went with my gut and basically split the end positive and negatives so half goes into the terminal and the other half twists with the wire from sub #2 wires. Is this how I am supposed to do it? Or am I supposed to use a single wire and somehow slit it along the sleave and plug that into terminal on sub #1. I can post pictures tomorrow evening if since Im not a very good explainer. Im hoping to get rid of this sealed box and just break even with what I paid for my materials and just buy a ported box. Also Ive heard about subs being "out of phase" in single chamber boxes anybody ever heard of this??
Thank you to everyone that has already posted and thanks to any one that posts in advance!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran

i can't visualize what you're saying but thats because i have never used the jumper setup. i've always done the parallel/series right at the terminal cup. i never tried going from sub to sub. maybe Jshark or benedict can help on that one

Quick Reply: One sub hitting harder