Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Opinions on what sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough
Default Opinions on what sub

Well, i sold my JL Audio 12w6 in the sealed box and need some help deciding on a new sub/amp combo. Some bills came up around my house that mom needed help paying so, i have about $300-$400 to play with. I'm going to go with one 12 and a 4 channel amp (i have components in the front to power).

So, my thoughts are to get an MB Quart DSC4125 because bridged will do about 500rms at 4 ohms. And, i'm doing a ported box that i want to keep shallow, so the sub can't be any deeper than 6 inches.

Sub options (things that i have had experience with)
JL Audio 12w0v2
12 Kicker CVR dual 2
Pioneer Premier Ts-w1208d2
Alpine Type R Dual 2
JL Audio 12w3v3 single 4 ohm
Image Dynamics 12d2 v.3

Those are subs i've either ran in the past, have installed in another car, or had many hours of listen time to in friends' cars.

Obviously i expect Screwed to be one of the firsts and Zed is going to love my amp choice

Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran

Wow, 40 plus views, 22 hours, and no comments from anyone.... i'm impressed... Anyways, i'm probably going to run the 12w0 if i can find the money somewhere.... mom's fridge died and i fronted about half the cost

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

Is that MB amp stable at 2 ohms?

These are my personal opinions on these subs:
JL Audio 12w0v2 - I would opt for the w3 over a w0
12 Kicker CVR dual 2 - Stay away, this was my first sub and I blew it up within 3 hours. They cannot take even a few more watts than rated
Pioneer Premier Ts-w1208d2 - not even going to Google this one, I'm not a fan of anything Pioneer
Alpine Type R Dual 2 - I have the dual 4ohm and love it
JL Audio 12w3v3 single 4 ohm - w3's are great SQ subs
Image Dynamics 12d2 v.3 - ID is a great American made company but I have only heard their high end woofers

But you probably have a better idea of what sound you're looking for.. Don't forget that a sub is only as good as the enclosure it's in!

Last edited by DSMayo; 05-21-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Way to be rude topper, god give us a chance to see it lol jkjk well my vote is for the alpine, the new ones are 600 watt rms and are amazing

Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran

I would be getting subs that could be wired for 4 ohms because the amp is 500rms bridged.
I have always had JL something in my car whether it be an amp, subs, wiring or speakers. I just like the clean sound.

12w0 is cheap and sounds good, i used to run 2 of them "back in the day"
CVR not a huge fan but my neighbor has an extra one because he's running 3, he bought 4
I run a pioneer headunit and drop in speakers. I installed a similar sub in an s10 and it sounded pretty good IMO
I've installed type Rs a lot around me and they sound pretty good but never heard it ported
I love my w3. they're one of the best subs JL makes for both sq and spl applications
I like ID products but they're so expensive that i don't know if i could bring myself to buy one. especially without a dealer around me.

I plan on doing the w0 because i like the fact that its only $80 for me locally with a 3 year warranty (don't ask how i get the deal), and the box will be ported tuned to 26hz in a 1.75 cubic foot box

And Derek, the Alpines are great subs, speakers, and amps, but they're not my favorite ya know? all personal preference

Last edited by MTopper; 05-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

I used to drive a GTI with two ported 12" and one sealed 10" w3 in the trunk all powered by JL amps. In the front I ran 2 sets of JL components. It is still the best system I have ever heard.

But when it came to the Blazer I switched to running a complete Alpine system, I have special pricing I couldn't resist. Just yesterday I swapped my TypeR into a ported box and damn its loud. I am going back to my sealed box to regain the SQ though.

I would stick with JL or Alpine. They are name brands with proven quality/reliability.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Wait? Why do you want to go from a W6 to W0?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran

The w6 was a great sub but i needed money fast. my mom had some things that needed to be fixed and 200 bucks helped that before i got my paycheck yesterday. so i do whats best for the family. my audio addiction isn't something that i hold over that.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

theres alot of subs out there, that can throw good tones and handle good power.

even some of the off name woofers have pretty good response and are way lighter on the cash. If your not biased on brand, check into like RE audio or even Fi (Fi is not all that expensive with some of their lines)

-Memphis Audio- I ran one 12 Power Reference Series inverted in a small sealed enclosure and rolled a 134.4 sealed-up on music

Hifonics, Rockford Fosgate (older ones) MTX (older ones) even out of business Audiobahns get with it pretty damn well

if the enclosure is met to the specs(or slightly over spec) of the woofer and the power supplied is a clean delivery.... I have heard some wacky audio setups with cheap woofers

Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran

Haha, i completely forgot about Fi subs... i am not a fan of re, they just sound boomy to me. but, to each his/her own and i've still got some time to decide. i have some other stuff i want to buy before i get my audio setup going again. so, we'll see early june what happens with my truck

Quick Reply: Opinions on what sub