Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Poineer deck only works with lights on

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
theinfamous is on a distinguished road
Default Poineer deck only works with lights on

Ok, this is a little weird, but apparently the PO of my 1986 K5 Military blazer was a wiring genius. (sarcasm) There's a pioneer cd player installed and it works, but only when the headlights are on. So my question is, why would somebody wire a stereo like this, and how do I remedy this situation?

Some of the wires on the stereo still have their designation tags on them, and there is a wire labelled pos to battery that goes into the fusebox at a location that gets 12v whenever the ignition is on, but there is clearly another power wire that I can't figure out that runs to the headlight switch (why??)

Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
swe007 is on a distinguished road

test the wire that is hooked up to the POS coming off the Pioneer for 12v with ignition on. It sounds to me like the POS is hooked up to the dimmer wire instead of the switched power. Does the unit retain the clock and station settings when turned off and on?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
blue_zr2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swe007
test the wire that is hooked up to the POS coming off the Pioneer for 12v with ignition on. It sounds to me like the POS is hooked up to the dimmer wire instead of the switched power. Does the unit retain the clock and station settings when turned off and on?

red.. is constant power.. goes to a battery sorch power at all times...
the yellow should be on a acc. power.. should only have power when key is on... and yes sounds like its hooked in into the dimmer wire orange i belive...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member
theinfamous is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swe007
No it does not.

So let me get this straight: The pos to battery wire should go to a constant 12v source, regardless of wether or not the key is on?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM
steelrfn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that power retains the memory in the stereo and keeps the time set in the clock.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blue_zr2
red.. is constant power.. goes to a battery sorch power at all times...
the yellow should be on a acc. power.. should only have power when key is on... and yes sounds like its hooked in into the dimmer wire orange i belive...
I believe you have that backwards, Yellow being power, red being switched. I haven't wired a headunit in quite some time but I do believe that's how it is.

as for the original poster, It sounds like you wired the red (switched power) to the dimmer wire (orange, or orange with a white stripe) instead of to the switched power wire.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Starting Member
blue_zr2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01vortec
I believe you have that backwards, Yellow being power, red being switched. I haven't wired a headunit in quite some time but I do believe that's how it is.

as for the original poster, It sounds like you wired the red (switched power) to the dimmer wire (orange, or orange with a white stripe) instead of to the switched power wire.
i didnt even notice i wroth that all backwards.. yes yellow is battery hott at all times and red is a 12volt switched.. acc. wire

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 PM
steelrfn is an unknown quantity at this point

Red is switched power, but should NOT be wired to the dimmer, it should be wired to the radio fuse. If that wire is hooked to the dimmer then that would cause the radio to only work when the lights are on as well.

If you don't connect it to the radio fuse, either via the wire that should be SOMEWHERE behind the dash in the vicinity of the head unit, or by tapping into the fuse in the fuse box itself, then make sure that wherever you do connect it loses power when the truck is shut off. Otherwise you will have to remember to turn the radio off every time you exit the truck or you will, over time, kill your battery.