Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Question about "ohms"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Big Frost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about "ohms"

Ok guys so ive been searching around and trying to find info on what exactly an OHM is..

Ive read the sticky "ohms law" thread at the top of this forum, but it didnt help.

Now from what i understand, subs should be run at the lowest possible ohm rating right? but what exactly is the difference from running at say 2ohms versus 4? i know amp output is different based on that, but is it clarity were sacrificing for power?

Second, how do ohm ratings on speakers work? should they be aimed at the highest rating, since subs are aimed at the lowest?

also, someone told me car speakers only go up to 4 ohms, but house speakers do 8...but i have a sub that says 2-8ohms on the box...

any help on this issue would be appreciated...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Question about "ohms"

its called impedence, not ohms. Ohms are the unit of measurement of which impedence is measured.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks,

But could you put me on the path of what that means to speakers/subs?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.bcae1.com/

give this a good read and let it be your mobile audio bible

Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

All speakers/ subs have impedance, it is the elecrtrical resistance in the voice coil windings.
As for the proper imp to run your amp at well it 100% depends ont he amp and its stable operating imp. If the amp is 1 ohm stable you want to match your sub/ subs to achieve a 1ohm load to get the most from the amp.
If a amp makes 500 watts @ 2ohm and another amp makes 500 watts @ 4 ohm well they both are 500 watt amps. Note that amps are more efficent at higher imps.
As for speaker imps they come in many imps as well. Some companies have 2ohm component sets, most common are 4ohm speakers, i personally have 8 ohm speakers in my truck, and if you have ever removed a Blazers factory 6x9 int he rear you will find it is a 10 ohm speaker.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

a measurment of resistence

Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 PM

@bobditts

Ok i read most of that site...wish i woulda found that earlier... i have a fair understanding of what they are now but im still abit confused on how that applys to me...

Right now, i have one eye candy audiopipe 2000w (1000rms) 15' sub, and a planet audio big bang bb1350.1b class d monoblock...which is 1900 max and 1350 rms...

Im reading that on the paper...it says 2 ohms...902 rms and 1 ohm...1353 rms(monoblock)

does this mean that if i get a second sub and bring the load down to 1 ohm, that ill get a significantly louder system with the same exact amp settings, simply by adding the sub?

another question...im planning on buying a speaker amp, but i dont know what power ratings im looking at, 2ohm or 4ohm? which is better to run a speaker on? also, i have a 6 speaker setup, and all speaker amps ive found are 4 channel, is it ok to combine ALL outputs of the amp i buy and then divide them equally to each speaker?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

lowering the ohm load usually gives ya more power, and more thd

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM

But is it safe to do that? like its not dangerous, or super hot?

also, what about the speaker amp?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:23 PM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

For daily dont run the amp under its stable rated impedance. If it s 1ohm stable do NOT run lower!

Quick Reply: Question about "ohms"