Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Radio Problems (speakers not working, etc)

Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM
959900s10blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Radio Problems (speakers not working, etc)

Hi guys! First post to the forum!

I just purchased a 2000 model 4x4 4 door blazer LT that has been babied it's whole life (only 108k miles!) however, there are some slight issues I want to address about my radio system.

My rear speakers don't work at all. It makes the sound feel less full and not be as fun. The left dash speaker doesn't work, but I don't really worry much about that, and my right side front door speaker doesn't work. The CD player worked its first day, but after the first day it stopped working (however, the tape deck in the floor board still works, that God for the aux cord)

My question is, could this all be caused by the OEM Delco HU? Or just the ****ty speakers?

If I have to replace the HU, would a replacement factory HU still work? The truck is a classic truck, no blemishes nothing done to it and it was grandpa owned, so I'm not going to mess with it's nostalgia feeling. What's the best route to go?

thanks for any responses.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 959900s10blazer
Hi guys! First post to the forum!

I just purchased a 2000 model 4x4 4 door blazer LT that has been babied it's whole life (only 108k miles!) however, there are some slight issues I want to address about my radio system.

My rear speakers don't work at all. It makes the sound feel less full and not be as fun. The left dash speaker doesn't work, but I don't really worry much about that, and my right side front door speaker doesn't work. The CD player worked its first day, but after the first day it stopped working (however, the tape deck in the floor board still works, that God for the aux cord)

My question is, could this all be caused by the OEM Delco HU? Or just the ****ty speakers?

If I have to replace the HU, would a replacement factory HU still work? The truck is a classic truck, no blemishes nothing done to it and it was grandpa owned, so I'm not going to mess with it's nostalgia feeling. What's the best route to go?

thanks for any responses.
anyone?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:25 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 959900s10blazer
anyone?
the head units in these are usually programmed specifically for the vehicles they come in. Meaning if you want to replace your oem unit with another oem unit you will have to take it to the dealer and have it programmed. HOWEVER, I recently purchased a new/refurbished unit on eBay for $150 that came unlocked so it's plug and play in any gm vehicle. I know that's a little high but I like to keep the factory look. And it's a 6 disc changer.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
the head units in these are usually programmed specifically for the vehicles they come in. Meaning if you want to replace your oem unit with another oem unit you will have to take it to the dealer and have it programmed. HOWEVER, I recently purchased a new/refurbished unit on eBay for $150 that came unlocked so it's plug and play in any gm vehicle. I know that's a little high but I like to keep the factory look. And it's a 6 disc changer.
also, you'll probably need to replace all the speakers as they are likely little more than magnets with wires coming out of them by now. I replaced the little tweeters in my dash with actual 4x6 coaxials and it was a drastic improvement. I highly recommend purchasing the adapter wires when you replace the speakers so you won't have to splice anything.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
also, you'll probably need to replace all the speakers as they are likely little more than magnets with wires coming out of them by now. I replaced the little tweeters in my dash with actual 4x6 coaxials and it was a drastic improvement. I highly recommend purchasing the adapter wires when you replace the speakers so you won't have to splice anything.
i did replace the rear speakers and it does sound a lot better. Tomorrow is front speakers and dash Friday.

I love the nostalgia feeling, but yeah, I don't feel like spending much more than $100 for a new HU, especially since it does have the tape deck in the floor and I fear I'll get one that won't even be programmed to have that. With the budget, is it just safer to get a non OEM and screw the tape deck in the floor?