Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

RCA Cables

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Exile is on a distinguished road
Default RCA Cables

Well today I got myself an amp and a sub-woofer, and a cable kit to hook it up with. But it turns out that I mistakenly got the wrong/right set of cables to connect the amp to the sub-woofer.

The amp uses a normal RCA connection, but the box's terminals are for normal speaker wire. What I believe I can do is just cut off one end of the RCA cables and plug that into the box's terminal.

Before I go cutting my pretty cables I would like some confirmation if that is really possible.

Just some general information about what is going on.

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer, I love it to death, and is a really nice car in pretty decent condition. The Amp is 700 watts, 2 channel with bridge support, by Lightning Audio(I don't know what this brand is, I got this stuff for free ) and a 10 inch sub-woofer to boot. This should work all together, and any suggestions about running the wires through this thing would be fantastic.

Go Blazers!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

DO NOT cut the RCA cable, it is for the connection from the HU (hopefully you have an aftermarket, if not you need an LOC (low output converter)).... You connect the RCA cable from the HU to the amp's inputs, and connect speaker wire from the speaker terminals on the amp to the subwoofer.... You REALLY should have someone help you since this definitely sounds like your first time with any of this equipment.... Be certain you run the power wire directly from the amp to the positive terminal of the battery with the fuse installed 12 inches or less from the battery... Make the ground as short as possible to as solid a point as possible as close to the amp as you can find... clean it off very well, get all the paint, dirt, oil, etc. from the area all the way down to clean metal.... You'll also need to run a small wire for the "remote" (turn on lead) that goes from the remote turn on lead/power antenna/auxilary wire on the HU or at least from the switched power wire (usually red) that goes to the HU....

Hope some of that helps.....

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Exile
Well today I got myself an amp and a sub-woofer, and a cable kit to hook it up with. But it turns out that I mistakenly got the wrong/right set of cables to connect the amp to the sub-woofer.

The amp uses a normal RCA connection, but the box's terminals are for normal speaker wire. What I believe I can do is just cut off one end of the RCA cables and plug that into the box's terminal.

Before I go cutting my pretty cables I would like some confirmation if that is really possible.

Just some general information about what is going on.

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer, I love it to death, and is a really nice car in pretty decent condition. The Amp is 700 watts, 2 channel with bridge support, by Lightning Audio(I don't know what this brand is, I got this stuff for free ) and a 10 inch sub-woofer to boot. This should work all together, and any suggestions about running the wires through this thing would be fantastic.

Go Blazers!!!

Cutting the cables won't work. The amp's RCA connection should be the line-in. The headunit sends the audio signal to the amp via RCA. The amp combines the low-level audio signal with the +12V from the battery to create a high-level signal needed for the terminal on your subwoofer/box.

There should be a regular speaker wire output on the amp. Do you have a model number or a picture of it?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM

I have 2 RCA cables, one for the connection between my head unit(which is aftermarket), and the other that I was going to put from the line out of the amp, to the sub.(Since some of them can do that) but then I realized that the sub hookup(Regular Speaker Wire Output) is on the other side(fail notice).

It appears that they do not manufacture this amp any more, so I cannot get you a link to it very easily, nor can I find it myself. All I know is it is supposed to be a Lightning Audio 700 Watt amp.

So returning my 2nd RCA cable and grabbing a spool of speaker wire would be the best thing to do? Or is there something I can do with the 2nd RCA cable to make it work between the amp and speaker?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The "Line Out" connection IS NOT the output that goes to the sub.... The speaker terminals, which are most likely located on the same end as the power terminals, are where you connect the speaker wire to the amp and then to the sub box.... Just get some regular speaker wire, something in the 14 or 12 gauge size will do fine...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

the RCA line out is to provide signal to a 2nd amp.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 AM

Alright, this helps for a better understanding of what I have to do now, thanks for all the help guys, but to double check my planned method:

1 Find location to put amp and sub
2 Disconnect negative terminal on the battery, then positive
3 Connect the positive amp power to the battery, and route through vehicle
4 Connect the RCA, and remote wire to the back of the head unit, and route through opposite side of the vehicle of the amp power
5 Put the RCA into amp input, connect Amp Power
6 Find a bolt or something metal attached to the chassis, clean the area, and attach ground
7 Plug in ground to amp
8 Connect sub and amp via speaker wire
9 Reconnect the normal positive battery cables, then negative last
10 Start car and enjoy?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

you have to properly adjust and tune the amp as well before you can really enjoy

Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Well between my list I have there, and help, I have it hooked up and installed. Very very nice even though it is only a 10 inch, Gives me that punch that I wanted that my speakers didn't give me. Thanks for all the help, I know where I'll go for any other help with my blazer