Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

RCA Plugs too long...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member
cpdavngr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RCA Plugs too long...?

I just installed an XM radio tuner on my 2001 Blazer. Everything worked fine except that I can't seem to get the head unit to slide all the way back. I looked at the back of it through the glove box and it appears that the RCA plugs are just a bit too long to let it slide all the way back into the bracket. It's an aftermarket head unit (Sony CDX-GT510) which was installed by Circuit City. I noticed when I slid it out, they had broken a piece of plastic behind it to make it fit initially. However, I'm thinking now I may just need some L-Shaped RCA plugs to make it fit. This may work fine, but might be a problem if I decide to use any of the other RCA jacks in the future (there are two more sets).
Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

-CA

Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: RCA Plugs too long...?

just take some more of the plastic out. is the radio flush into the dash kit, or is the face protruding outside the dash kit?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member
cpdavngr is an unknown quantity at this point

It's potruding about a half inch outside the dash kit.
The thing is, it looks like the plastic part they brokeislocated in the center section of the radio. The RCA jacks are on the passenger side of the radio...

Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take it back.....and have them fix it.......after all, you payed to have it done right.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^^^ Thats what i say. Though if you want to fix it on your own and need L-shaped rca cables scosche makes them for pretty cheap and you can get them just about anywhere including wal-mart. But being as thats a pain in the rear to run, just take it back to circuit city.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
sndro666 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've installed plenty of after market cd players in Blazers and since I own an 01, I know exactly what you're talking about. If you're using the dash kit that doesn't make the radio stick out that much, that plastic absolutely had to be broken out unless you wanted the radio to tilt down. GM radios have that nub on the back to lock into that plastic to give it better support. I find it utterly useless and it causes issues in so many vehicles when installing a new hu. I broke pretty much all of the plastic out from behind my radio since I put my crossovers for my component speakers there. As for the rca's, I have yet to run into issues with them hitting anything. But if you are, those L-shaped rca's will do fine.

Did you install the tuner yourself? If you did, CC might not fix it for you since it isn't their install. But if they did, by all means take it back and explain to them the problem. If an installer at my shop did that, I wouldn't have let the car leave without being fixed.