Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Removed cd player and system, now i don't have dash lights

Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Beginning Member
MetalMan390 is on a distinguished road
Default Removed cd player and system, now i don't have dash lights

i bought a 1999 blazer 4 door 4x4 recently that had a panasonic cy-vmd9000u, which is a 7 inch flip out cd/dvd player, but it will only flip out of the dash and when it's supposed to tilt up so that you can see the screen, it doesn't... it just goes right back into the dash. so i pulled the stereo out along with the control unit for the stereo and the cd changer that was in the trunk and just going to put something else in there.

however, after i removed everything, i lost most of the lights on the instrument cluster. the check engine light and turn signals come on, but that's it... no gear selection lights or digital odometer, and none of the other lights that come on when you turn the key to ON like the seat belt light, etc. the truck will still start and run, but it just doesn't have any other lights. the only thing i can think of is that a wire for the stereo that i cut was wired into the dash lights somehow, but the only wires i cut (and not just unplugged) were 3 wires that were just tapped into the radio harness on the truck itself, and like i said, those where just tapped into the harness, not like i just clipped the harness wires themselves.

any ideas?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
BlackFireLS4.3 is on a distinguished road

check your fuses first!

there is a wire that goes into the stereo called "dimmer" or "ilummination" that is tied into the dash lights... I believe it is orange... or atleast it always used to be... dome light and cig lighter still good?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
slammed95blazer is on a distinguished road

Hes very right about the wire. There is a wire that connects to the radio, when the radio is powered it sends power over to that wire giving you your light on the dash. if you havent un hooked any harnesses yet try putting the radio back in and turning the truck on and see what happens.