Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Removing Aftermarket CD Player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road
Default Removing Aftermarket CD Player?

The blazer I just bought has an aftermarket stereo in it, but the faceplate was stolen. I want to remove the stereo and put a new one in, what's the easiest way? Will I need to remove the dash as if I was removing a stock CD player, or is it easier since there is already a single DIN and stereo in it?

1996 Chevy Blazer.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It depends on the make of the stereo. Many after market stereos use release keys that release the CD player from the mounting cage. A stereo installation shop in your area may even be kind enough to supply you with the keys, or sometimes you can make your own from a really thin piece of metal. The key slips in between the CD player and the mounting cage, and then the CD player just slides out. You wouldn't need to take the dash apart at all.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

if your replacing the stereo with the same style , Brand new ones come with the tools to release
if you going back to stock , remove dash trim and all the bolts that hold the adapter plate will be accessable

Last edited by rexazz2; 05-23-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
It depends on the make of the stereo. Many after market stereos use release keys that release the CD player from the mounting cage. A stereo installation shop in your area may even be kind enough to supply you with the keys, or sometimes you can make your own from a really thin piece of metal. The key slips in between the CD player and the mounting cage, and then the CD player just slides out. You wouldn't need to take the dash apart at all.
Originally Posted by rexazz2
if your replacing the stereo with the same style , Brand new ones come with the tools to release
if you going back to stock , remove dash trim and all the bolts that hold the adapter plate will be accessable
I am going to be putting in another aftermarket stereo instead of the one in there now, I don't have any keys for either one.

I looked around on YouTube and I guess some poeple just use really thin butter knives or similiar to get the CD players out. I might try that or just head to a audio shop and see if they will let me use their keys.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will update soon.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You do not need the release keys to get it out, all the "release keys" are is a couple pieces of flat 1/2inch 18 gauge metal, they are about 4" long

Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM

here is a picture of the ones that came with my Sony but I am sure they are all the same
I think you need to pop off the little rectangular trim that would frame the detachable face to access the slots

Attached Thumbnails Removing Aftermarket CD Player?-th_20130523_183031_zps505bede0.jpg   Removing Aftermarket CD Player?-20130523_183031_zps505bede0.jpg  

Last edited by rexazz2; 05-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM

BTW the big end is what you hold on to and the little barbd hole hooks onto the deck to help you pull the unit out

Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

all those pretty much do is push the "lock" on the metal bracket of the cd player out so you can pull the deck out. i have even used brass from a hobby shop.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
all those pretty much do is push the "lock" on the metal bracket of the cd player out so you can pull the deck out. i have even used brass from a hobby shop.
I usually just spring out the tabs with my fingers cause I have the entire dash apart and to lazy to look for these LOL
I just figured a picture helps for somebody that doesnt know better

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Starting Member

I have some flat metal shims I can use, thanks for the advice guys. I am going to take it out today and wire in a new one. Then I am moving on to the speakers.

Which speakers are the easiest to replace? I was thinking the dash or doors.

Quick Reply: Removing Aftermarket CD Player?