Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Replacement dash speakers in 2000 Blazer - Polk Audio db461 4X6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member
OhioLefty is on a distinguished road
Default Replacement dash speakers in 2000 Blazer - Polk Audio db461 4X6?

Has anyone replaced the stock dash tweeters in a 2nd Gen ('95-'05) Blazer with Polk Audio db461 4X6 coaxial speakers? I would like to hear how they fit, how they wired up and most important, how do they sound?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Starting Member
ugablazer12 is on a distinguished road

There's only one word i can say about how they fit and thats CUSTOM lol, but they sound excellent and I'm sure you'll love them. As for wiring it's pretty simplepos to pos and neg to neg. Just cut off the factory plug and strip the ends of the wires, and use connectors, tape is easy but doesn't last from the heater running around in your dash.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
OhioLefty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ugablazer12
There's only one word i can say about how they fit and thats CUSTOM lol, but they sound excellent and I'm sure you'll love them. As for wiring it's pretty simplepos to pos and neg to neg. Just cut off the factory plug and strip the ends of the wires, and use connectors, tape is easy but doesn't last from the heater running around in your dash.
When you say "CUSTOM", do you mean there is some modification involved or do they drop in like they were "CUSTOM" made to go in the 4X6 hole? I was concerned about the mounting depth and the speaker magnet hitting the duct work inside.

The reason I ask about the wiring, I've read that if you install new tweeters, depending on which way the tweeters are mounted (facing toward windshield or facing toward driver), you have to change polarity. I guess with the 4X6 coaxial, it really shouldn't have to be reverse polarity. Like you said, positive to positive, negative to negative (red to red, black to black).

Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I'm certain he meant custom in the sense you'll have to modify some things to get them to fit properly. The only driver's I can imagine that might fit with no modification at all would be something with a small NEO magnet like THESE. Though I would still imagine there would be an issue with depth on them as well.

There's just not a lot of room under there.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Starting Member
ugablazer12 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
When you say "CUSTOM", do you mean there is some modification involved or do they drop in like they were "CUSTOM" made to go in the 4X6 hole? I was concerned about the mounting depth and the speaker magnet hitting the duct work inside.

The reason I ask about the wiring, I've read that if you install new tweeters, depending on which way the tweeters are mounted (facing toward windshield or facing toward driver), you have to change polarity. I guess with the 4X6 coaxial, it really shouldn't have to be reverse polarity. Like you said, positive to positive, negative to negative (red to red, black to black).

Thanks for the reply!
Yea i do mean the depth the quality of sound the polk audios create is do to the size of the magnet and the separation of the mid and tweet and there is also no need to reverse polarity due to the dash mounts are preaimed to the windshield for better sound travel(best design ever for car stereo)...its hard to explain the mount issue but u will most likely only be able to get one screw in to hold the speaker in place but the cover will go back on flawlessly! Hope you enjoy them.