Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Replacing the Speaker Container Thing Majig

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing the Speaker Container Thing Majig

So i'm planning on overhauling my Blazers sound system soon and the plastic things the speakers go in are barely hanging on. Any idea what they are called so I can track down replacements?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

They're simply called baffles. I would recommend building some out of a good grade plywood instead of getting replacement plastic ones. The more solid the structure is that the aftermarket speakers are mounted to the better their response will be and less acoustic energy is lost in the panel which means they're a little louder too.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply. Are there any write up's on building some by chance?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM

You can find several how to's on the internet about building speaker baffles for both home speaker systems and for car audio, but there's really not much to it. The difficulty really only lies in how intricate a person wants to get with the design and build. I literally just traced out the shape of the factory plastic ones for the base of mine and for the placement of the holes that mount them to the door. From there a single extra ring would space out to about the same as the factory plastic baffle, or like I did with two rings, put the mid just a hair more out than flush with the plastic door panel. All that was using 3/4" MDF for mine that I had lying around. They don't need to be as fancy or built as beefy as mine are and just about anything you do would be better than that damn plastic. Here's a couple of pictures of mine to help the thought process.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

How the hell did you get your door panels back on after putting on your baffles? I had to carve and taper mine quite a bit, but yours looks like they are still squared. Also in the second to last pic did you use anything to seal up behind the mounting board just below the window motor? my factory plastic mount had a taper in to follow the doors inlet for the window hardware and when I put on the wooden baffles I ended up with quite a decent opening back there at that point. were you worried about sealing it or just leave it open to match the other holes in the door....

And I love the mounting hardware.... not over kill at all is it?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by schollianmj
How the hell did you get your door panels back on after putting on your baffles? I had to carve and taper mine quite a bit, but yours looks like they are still squared. Also in the second to last pic did you use anything to seal up behind the mounting board just below the window motor? my factory plastic mount had a taper in to follow the doors inlet for the window hardware and when I put on the wooden baffles I ended up with quite a decent opening back there at that point. were you worried about sealing it or just leave it open to match the other holes in the door....

And I love the mounting hardware.... not over kill at all is it?
I didn't have to do anything special for them to fit. I did put a gasket tape (like weather stripping) behind the baffles to help them seal up, tighten flushed and even, and to help decouple them from the door. It worked out very well, more pix and details of the installation are in the build log. Theres a link to it in my sig. If you think those 5/16 bolts are overkill, you should see the baffles in my van.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

Ah, i hadn't seen you updated your build since i think January... Looking great and Im gonna have to steal some of your ideas.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Thanx man... You're more than welcome to anything you can use. I figure that's one of the best reasons for doing build logs in the first place.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 06-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

What speakers did everyone go with? I personally think the stock ones in my blazer are decent... but a little better wouldnt hurt.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Hey altoncustomtech, you're pretty damn good...really...real great! Nice work!

To Prozon, I'm a little off on what you're asking. Not sure if you're looking for factory replacements or aftermarket ones. I still have my factory rings if you want. I replaced mine with ones from Crutchfield that came with my new speakers.

Speaker Mounting Brackets Fits select 1994-05 Chevrolet, GMC, Isuzu and Oldsmobile vehicles (for 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speakers) at Crutchfield.com

Quick Reply: Replacing the Speaker Container Thing Majig