Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Replacing the Speaker Container Thing Majig

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by red06sc
What speakers did everyone go with? I personally think the stock ones in my blazer are decent... but a little better wouldnt hurt.
Everyone has different tastes. After years of custom audio work I have a hard time listening to factory setups for very long. There's just not enough dynamic range, accuracy or output for my listening taste. I started off with Phoenix Gold RSD components, tried out the Image Dynamics CTX components and ended up using the Bravox CS60K components. The PG RSD's have great overall sound and are a great bargain, tho I would question their ability to take a great deal of power for very long. The ID's had unreal midbass and very smooth highs but lacked the realism I prefer. The Bravox components are perfect for my tastes with great imaging and staging, very smooth sound with solid midbass performance, and they seem like they'll hold up to some serious abuse as well.

Originally Posted by Vahomboy
Hey altoncustomtech, you're pretty damn good...really...real great! Nice work!
Thank you sir, I appreciate that.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Everyone has different tastes. After years of custom audio work I have a hard time listening to factory setups for very long. There's just not enough dynamic range, accuracy or output for my listening taste. I started off with Phoenix Gold RSD components, tried out the Image Dynamics CTX components and ended up using the Bravox CS60K components. The PG RSD's have great overall sound and are a great bargain, tho I would question their ability to take a great deal of power for very long. The ID's had unreal midbass and very smooth highs but lacked the realism I prefer. The Bravox components are perfect for my tastes with great imaging and staging, very smooth sound with solid midbass performance, and they seem like they'll hold up to some serious abuse as well.

Thank you sir, I appreciate that.
Thank you, Im not really big into audio, i dont even really plan on replacing the factory radio. I was just wondering what is a decent sound speaker over factorys ones. I just would be using it for you're basic use, nothing major. Just something a little more then factory. I will look up that brand.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Bravox will be really hard to find in the US. Due to shipping costs and customs issues Bravox has ended utilizing any US vendors at all (they're from Brazil). A pair of speakers here and there could possibly be found, but it's gonna be rare.

Quite honestly some of the best speakers I've found and heard for the money have been JBL. They're not typically too expensive and every time I hear a set they sound just fine to me. While I generally prefer and recommend component sets this JBL GTO628 COAX set would be much better than factory speakers. They'll still sound okay on the factory HU and if you ever upgrade the HU you'll still be in good hands. My sister has a set in the rear doors of her Durango. They don't quite get the imaging and staging that the PG RSD component set in the front doors do, but they will keep up with them on output and sound pretty dang good overall. That's even with a Cadence F100-5 amp delivering 100wrms to each channel, so they can take a bit of abuse too considering they're rated at almost half that.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 06-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

Gonna try and dig up an old file here, lol, but would you happen to know the inner and outter diameters of the rings you made? those look flipping amazing and would love to build a set for myslef. I love how the speaker come out of the door panel.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blade_24k
Gonna try and dig up an old file here, lol, but would you happen to know the inner and outter diameters of the rings you made? those look flipping amazing and would love to build a set for myslef. I love how the speaker come out of the door panel.
I can't recall off the top of my head what the exact dimensions were, however I can get a measurement of the OD on the rings when I go out and put the front end back together a little later. The inside diameter will depend completely on what speakers you're planning on mounting in the rings though as the cutout for one speaker is very generally quite different from the next.

I used a router with a Jasper Circle Jig attachment to do those cutouts. If you don't already have one, and you do this kind of stuff on any sort of regular basis it is money that is VERY well spent. Not only can you do circle cut outs with a jig but you can round over edges, easy do countersinks and baffle steps, and so many other things with so many bits to choose from. Routers are essential tools in any wood shop or for anyone who's doing this kind of stuff regularly.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

i got 6.5" alpine sps in all four doors and this High Def 7" in Dash 2 DIN Car Stereo DVD Player GPS Navigation 3D Bluetooth Cam | eBay. I have for quite a while been having issues with bass out of my speakers, ive replaced the HU and speakers a couple time (no i never went to component) and never thought it could just be the cruddy stock "baffels". Because i know these speakers shoud hit nicely becuase my friend put 6x9 alpine sps in his mustang and when he cranks the bass its like a massage, lol.