Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

run amp and sub through factory radio?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
vermillion2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default run amp and sub through factory radio?

Im looking to install a small system in my blazer, I was wondering if it's possible to hook up an amp and sub using the factory radio? I have a few buddies that are doing that in their cars but theirs are newer, my blazers a 96.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

It is possible... although you have a few options....

I have seen people run them off of the rear speaker outputs... and if you google there may be an option of a custom wiring harness....

An aftermarket stereo makes this much easier, and if you find a cheap one you like, it will be worth it in case you upgrade later....

Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vermillion2
Im looking to install a small system in my blazer, I was wondering if it's possible to hook up an amp and sub using the factory radio? I have a few buddies that are doing that in their cars but theirs are newer, my blazers a 96.
it may be beneficial to buy an aftermarket radio. if you dont want to do this then you can run a LOC (line out converter) this will wire into your existing wiring and give you RCA outputs for your amp. After this you will need find a spot to run your remote wire.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/stereo-wiring-install-parts-11284/

check out that thread. It will give you wire colors to tap into. Your going to want to tap the LOC into your rear speaker wires and the remote you can tap into the pink antenna wire.

Last edited by jagblazer01; 02-10-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member

ok cool thanks. Im just going over my options, I wouldnt mind an aftermarket radio, the clock on mine runs ridiculously fast and I have to reset it every couple of days. If it's easier to go with the aftermarket radio I'll probably go that route, I really don't know much about wiring, I'm more of a mechanical/suspension kind of guy haha

Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

line out coverter for rca source then run your amps turn on lead(remote wire) to any source that only has voltage when the truck is on. Try to keep it to something that is fused... the amp uses this signal to tell itself when to turn on, that is all it is for. AKA radio or cigar lighter in the fuse panel are usually the easiest but some cars have a constant to the cigar lighter so you dont want to use it in that case. Just use a voltmeter and check different fuses for power when the truck is on only.

If you want which ever is easiest then this is the route because even with a new deck you will have to wire it in. There are wire harnesses but that will still have to be wired to the deck before you plug it into the factory harness.

On another note factory radios(most) have a built in protection system that turn the bass down a little bit as you increase the volume to keep you from blowing your speakers. This being the case, it is alot harder for you to get a quality bass from a low end converter since the signal is coming from the speakers that are having some off the bass removed as you turn them up.

IMO Spend the money and get a new deck, just dont forget to get the wirng harness and dash kit when you do.....

Last edited by dimone545; 02-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Beginning Member

where/how would be the best place to hook up the line out converter?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my subs and amp ran from the oem radio and all that was needed was a converter thing to run them. They had mine ran so that when I cut the truck off the radio still played like factory but the subs only worked with the truck running.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vermillion2
where/how would be the best place to hook up the line out converter?
easiest spot is right behind the radio