Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sealed to composite w/DRL

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sealed to composite w/DRL

Ok, so Im putting off the quad Mod till I can afford thick enough wire. But in the mean time I have decided to just put on the new composite lights and splice them to the oem wiring...

heres the issue:

i can wire the two grounds frome each side together and then to the single ground supplied by the old harness. problem is that on the one side there is no ground(technicaly) because its the blue wire wich is a switched ground when highs/lows are on, but flops to hot and backfeeds the lights when the drl's are active.

I want to keep drl use, but i want the drls to fire the highs only (my lows are SSU, to spendy to waste on drl use).

I have done alot of searching but am still trying to figure out how to wire this. I have the haynes manual, but it only diagrams the style of lights my truck has (sealed beam w/drl). so i need insight or a schematic of what the 97 style composite w/ drl wiring would look like.

please help me, Id love to get this mod outa the way soon.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 AM

Got it handled! Turns out like always I'm just uber paranoid before I start a project, lol!

So verdict is:

the lights i had wired right up. wired drivers high beam ground to drl wire, wired drivers low ground to the mounting screw and high to high and low to low.. then on the pasenger side just wired grounds all together and high to high and low to low.

Im really happy now cuz i have cheap highs and spendy lows, but i love my drl's so im glad i got to keep them, and im glad there the highs.

finished up in the dark, Ill try to get pics this weekend!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, missed this yesterday. Glad you got it figured out.

I'll be disabling the DRL's in my Rainier as soon as my low beam HIDs get here. DRL on HID bulbs is not good, especially with the PWM voltage signal that my Rainier puts to the low beams to reduce output...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM

its all good! really everything ended up being color coded tan>tan, green>green, black>black, dk blue>dk blue, only thing difrent was just tying drivers low grnd to the frame. I could have run it to the passenger grnd wires, but figured shorter is safer so just put it to the mounting screws.

pics as promised:

Top: After
Bottom: Before

Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:34 PM

HaHa, damn, now I gotta make a new sig! but maybe Ill wait till after the A-Team paint job! ;-)

P.S. I say keep the DRLs, I dont know why everyone hates them, they do infact make a truck easyer to see when your going in and out of forresty stuff, yah know where you get alot of random light flashing through. just my thoughts, lol. EDIT: Oh, yah your installing HIDs, duh, lol!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Yeah, otherwise, I would keep them. For the DRL-killer that I am installing, I can install a DPST switch so I can switch between DRL's and no DRL's.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice install! The 95-97 headlight style has always been my favorite.

I guess I do have a bit of a bias though...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Got my harness finished up last night! Will install switched quad beam mod tonight!