Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Shopping spree?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
grevey is on a distinguished road
Default Shopping spree?

So, I'm completely new to sound systems. I've been looking and looking for ideas for enclosures, hardware, effects and have only gotten confused.

I have around $1000.00 to spend on a system for my 1998 4 door S10 Sport Blazer. Here's the list of what I want:

DVD player
Lcd Screen - In dash, as big as possible.
Multi-disc cd changer
The best sound possible - with the ability to switch from LOUD to Superb Quality.
Integration of 360/PS2
Mobile Wi-Fi/CarPC

I share this vehicle w/ my Fiance..She listens to contemporary christian and I listen to heavy metal grunge..it has to suit both of our needs.

I do NOT want a HUGE box in my cargo area. I haul things all the time/go on trips/go camping and need this area.

Could I get some input on what I could do with this amount of money? Am I being naive about the costs here?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

thats alot for $1000, if you wanted to hit that mark with all that you would have to drop a couple things and go with all cheap stuff. theres guys on here that spent $1000 on just and amp or two subs. i myself, im not into cheap stuff so hopefully my post will get some of the other guys that tried low budget units.

if you have never been on sonicelectronix check it out because all there audio stuff is alot cheaper then bestbuy, or places like that.

as what you should get sub wise, a 10 or 12 in a sealed box. i myself recommend an alpine type r. they get busy with the gain up and sound good with the gain down.

they also carry RE audio, iv heard great things about there subs. good idea on the carputer. i was looking at getting one myself.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, i wouldnt exactly call that a shopping spree. That would be dumpster diving. That is a very tall order for that budget.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

It can be had, if you know where to shop. eBay can be your best friend. As soon as I get my Blazer, I want to get a double din DVD player with screen, upgrade all the speakers, I'm looking at getting 6 Precision Power flat piston 12's, an amp for my mids and tweets and atleast 1 sub amp.

I think I can get everything I want for under a grand. And I don't think I'll cheap out on anything, except MAYBE the head unit. I've been looking at the Xo Vision double din in dash DVD player with a screen, they look amazing, and have TONS of features, and they're only like 170 shipped.

Once I get closer to getting everything, I'll make a list of what I'm getting, maybe post some pics of the build... only time will tell

Old 08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

you cant get the best sound possible for only $1000. that requirement alone is going to break your bank. if you want everything on that list an use equipment that is guaranteed not to break on you (and if it does has a warranty to back it up) you need to atleast double your budget.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry bro but I have to agree with the rest of the comments. All that for a grand no way in hell unless it is crap quality. I would suggest dumping the need for the screen and dvd player if you really want a clean system focus on getting 4 decent 6.5 for the doors (sony mid level quality etc) and make sure to get an amp to power them. For the deck I would stick to name brands, why buy a dvd player for a couple hundred bucks that is just going to break because it is some crap brand when you could pick up a pretty decent cd player or even just a data player that plays from a usb drive or sd card for the same price that will have a warranty and not crap out on you. 4 speakers, an amp and a deck will easily have you hitting the 1000 buck mark and that isnt even with subs.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dimone545
sorry bro but I have to agree with the rest of the comments. All that for a grand no way in hell unless it is crap quality. I would suggest dumping the need for the screen and dvd player if you really want a clean system focus on getting 4 decent 6.5 for the doors (sony mid level quality etc) and make sure to get an amp to power them. For the deck I would stick to name brands, why buy a dvd player for a couple hundred bucks that is just going to break because it is some crap brand when you could pick up a pretty decent cd player or even just a data player that plays from a usb drive or sd card for the same price that will have a warranty and not crap out on you. 4 speakers, an amp and a deck will easily have you hitting the 1000 buck mark and that isnt even with subs.

i beg to differ with the comment on the 4 speakers, radio, and amp costing a grand.

you can go with a full blown MB Quart system including a 5 channel amp, a pioneer mid level radio, 4 speakers (1 set of components, 1 set of coaxials) speakers wire, sub, box and RCAs, for just over a grand from Sonic Electronix.

but its all in the owners taste, i'd be happy with that system while it wouldn't be enough for others. you just have to look around and look at what you need versus want

Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright.
I've got a Kenwood HU, Lanzar OPTI-2000d amp, 15 inch sub in a vented box, and the wiring for the amp and have about $700 in that. Still need the door speakers and amp for them.

I could even through in the hi amp alternator for $280 and I'm still $20 under, lol. But I would hold on the amp for the doors, IIHO. You can always go back and do it if you really need it. Even with 1.2-1.5k watts and dual 15's knocking my rearview mirror of the windshield my factory 1991 door and dash speakers are plenty loud and clear over the bass. But everyone is diffrent. I'd just do cd player, sub, box, amp, and door speakers for now. You should be able to stay under your $1000 and still get the sound you want. You can always go back later and add to.

BTW, Contemporary gospel and thrash metal huh? They say opposites attract, lol. Kiddin' but go sealed on the subs and maybe do dual 12's. It will get loud as your headbanging insanity and power levels will allow and still have a tight crisp sound for the bass lines in her music. So Crowbar and Casting Crowns will both sound great, .