Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Short review of a 12" SSA DCON sub.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough
Default Short review of a 12" SSA DCON sub.

I feel we need more reviews on here, so I'm tossing this one up.

It's taken me WAY too long to get this done. I bought the sub for my sister Christmas of '09, bought the box from Argent Audio this Christmas and was just finally able to get it painted and installed this weekend. Don't worry, for all you speaker **** addicts, she took pictures and a couple of vidoes, I'll post them up as soon as she's got them sent to me.

The box is 2.25cuft NET tuned to 31Hz, the topic for the box quote and the posted design is HERE. I have the build log for her Durango posted HERE. It's a fairly straightforward build with no real bells or whistles. The original sub that was installed was a very crappy Pyle Red Label 12" Square sub that she had in her previous vehicle from an ex-boyfriend. When the build was done in her truck the sub simply sounded like ***, so I decided she needed an upgrade and that led us to this road with the DCON. The amp she's running is a Hifonics ZXi8010. Which is a 5 channel amp that delivers 4x55wrms and 200x1 into 4ohms and 300x1 into 2 ohms. The sub is a D4 wired in parallel for a 2ohm load.

So, on to the review.

The first song we played was Passengers by Tool. The bass guitar and drums were tight and accurate and were easily discernible, not muddled together at all. The other thing that caught our attention was the impact and energy. Quite impressive for a single 12 on ~300wrms of power. This is a song she knows very well and like alot and she was shocked at the difference between the DCON and her old sub.

The next song we played was Money for Nothing by Dire Straights. The drum fundamentals in the beginning were fast and tight as they're intended to be, the sub had no problem keeping up with the midbasses. Every beat was tight, on time and effortless. The entire song was a blast to listen to. At this point we were already really enjoying the performance of the DCON.

The next song was Angel by Sarah Mclaughlan (spelling?). I like using this song in listening for two reasons. First off her voice in the song can really show problems in response on a set of components, amp settings and the like. The other reason is the piano can reveal response problems on the low end as well. To our ears the lower octaves were spot on with the DCON, the shift and decay of each note was great and the entire song was seriously good to listen to.

The next song was One by Metallica. Another song to test the bass guitar and drums on the sub. Again the DCON didn't disappoint with it's performance. The bass drum at the beginning of the track was tight and strong. You could feel your hair move a little with every beat and felt it in your chest. At the crescendo of the song the drums are super fast and the DCON was on top of them the entire time. The only problem I noticed here was a tad bit of distortion which between the recording itself and the amp being pushed to it's limits I couldn't fault the sub for it. Especially since two clicks of the volume down had it gone with no real difference in output. I found throughout the listening we did that I either ran up against the limits of the amp with the sub, or in most cases with the highs.

Satisfied the sub was performing well in it's enclosure and that the settings on the amp were as good as they were gonna get we moved on to having a little fun with it. I was recently given a link to download a list of MP3's by Decaf or someone/something like that and been having a good time playing with it. Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne and a host of other rap artists and their songs that I believe have a little boost in the lower octaves, maybe not but it's GREAT for showing off either way. The DCON moved right on from a tight, accurate and detailed sub to a panel vibrating, rear view mirror skewing, sub bass monster. I was absolutely floored by the shear output it could generate on the modest power it was being fed. Anyone who's worried about what they can get out of single sub rated at 300wrms has absolutely NOTHING to be worried about.

No matter your musical preference I believe the DCON can and will perform to expectations and possibly beyond. We spent a couple of hours listening to just about everything and weren't disappointed with a single thing we played beyond the limitations we found in the output of the amp. It seemed that on occasion, a few songs just couldn't get going as good as they should have either in the bass region or on the highs, however that could easily just have been me considering I'm used to having much more power on tap in the van than she has available. At $125 the 12" DCON is an absolute steal IMO. It is extremely versatile and can make most people VERY happy in both how good it sounds as well as how loud it can get. It will definitely be at the top of my list for recommendations on smaller, lower powered systems.