Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

sound system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
crank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sound system question

Okay, i don't know one thing about setting up a system, i have heard about a "3 big step" where you change some wires under your hood. Other stuff too. Im confused i got a 2000 Blazer from my cousin who got a 4runner for grad. He got a system installed but the person that did it did not do something correctly. When i got the blazer it seemed fine. (he took the sysetm out) but then a week later i found out the blinkers did not work and the heat stopped getting hot so we took it to the shop and got the heat fixed no problem. The guy said that the blinkers were mest up due to the way someone set up the sound system they made a short in the lights. He said also that the Emergency lights did not work but if i got them fixed it would be another 300$ and he said since people don't use them so much he would not worry about that right now. So i got it back the blinkers worked fine as long as i did not push the emergency light button, then they stopped. Well after i got those fixed someone told me to roll down my window at a red light and it turns out NOW the brake lights don't work. Only the Third one does. (at the top) So Now i have to get that fixed, (if anyone knows how i can do it myself i would love that - from what i heard the man grabbed this power thing and kept clamping both clamps on the turning signal wire until it read to power, i dont even know which cords to look for though) anyways, the cords are still in the blazer for the system i have no clue if they are still connected or what. I think i need to set it up myself. If anyone knows a tutorial or something i can go to i would appreciate it. Another thing what does the 3 big step do? should i do it in my case? And also like i said i do not know anything about systems so What would be good for me, I LOVE BASS.. but i dont want it to over power the song? should i get 10's 12's what? and what brand do you reccomend, also i don't know whats the difference on watts on amps. Im completly clueless i know i just like good sound qaulity. So if anyone reads this whole thing and can help me out Please reply, Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: sound system question

well the big this is gonna be budget?? what do you have to spend

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang...

Ok first the big 3 is changing the 3 wires from the battery - alternator, battery - ground, and engine - ground...with biggger guage wire...This will allow more power to flow through the system, and is only really nesecary if you are experiencing dimming in the lights when the bass hits.

For the lights no working, if the system is hooked up, disconnect the power wire from the battery to the amp/the amp to ground/the remote wire/RCA cables...

Then try to see if the blinkers and brake lights still do not work...

Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Oh, okay so you don't need to do the big 3 unless your lights are dimming and stuff. Okay at least i don't have that problem from what i remember before he took the system out. And the system is already out of the car my cousin took it with him. He just left all the wires and stuff i don't kow if they are still contected to the battery since i got the turning signals fixed becuase i don't know what to look for.

And my Budget, Well I have to get this light mess fixed so i have to pay for that unless i can find out how to fix it myself. I mean i want something nice just not to exspensive that will sound good and sound good with this head unit (im planning on buying it next week)
I mean its all about quality i guess but i don't want it to expsensive and i dont want it to sound like crap, sorry if im not making sense.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Well if the power wire is still connected to the battery and not connected to anything else....could be very dangerous!

Open your hood and see how many wires are connected to the battery

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity, maybe theres someone from SC near you thatcan help ya out!! From the forum..

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM

there no wire that i have never seen connected to the battery so i don't think its connected.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Take all the wires and follow them end to end...that were connected to the amp...

Just to make sure they arent shorting your system somewhere...

Then if still no luck, you have another elctrical issue that Ill have to look up on

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 PM

what do i look for to tell it may short something out? i cut in the wire or something?