Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Starting to plan my stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 04:08 AM
skorned is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting to plan my stereo

so my Blazer has the 6 speaker setup, but the rear speakers aren't working. I just installed a JVC H/U in favor of the stock system, hoping that it would fix the problem. No dice. So instead of trying to track down the speaker wiring and figure out what the problem is, I'm just going to work on running fresh speaker wire to the rear doors-I think the only part that will give me a problem is removing the panel between the doors that houses the seatbelts in order to feed the wire into the door....looks a little tricky due to the seatbelt.

So here's what I'm thinking so far....mind you, I'm on a tight budget (how many people with three kids aren't??) but I'm open to suggestions.

Front doors/dash-I have a set of 6.5 Blaupunkt components that I was going to install in the front door of my Grand Cherokee. I installed a set of them in the rear doors of the GC and they sound pretty good.

Rear doors- Possibly just a set of cheap four-ways. Wouldn't mind another set of components, but I'm not sure where to mount the tweeters.

Cargo area- I want to build a decent box to house to 10" Infinity subs that Crutchfield has for $89 (buy one, get one free) I'm not sure what I'll use for an amp yet. I also want to build the box big enough to house either another set of 6.5's or a set of 6x9's running off a small amp.

I'm debating on running the amp power wire through the interior of the blazer or run it under the blazer and come up through the floor next to the amp. Wouldn't I save myself some interference problems that way?

Like I said, I'm open to input. It's been about 10 years since I actually put some actual effort into building a decent system. God I hate being old....

Old 12-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Starting to plan my stereo

the wiring for the stock speakers is as follows,

Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 4" x 6" Dash
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

For getting wire to the back speakers, pull off the rear door panels, use a large torx bit to take the seat belt bolts off, then run wire up through the factory loom that runs through the door jamb into the actual door. coat hanger works great for this.

Run the power wire in the car, under the carpet. There is a loarge grommet on the floor where you would have your feet in the passenger seat.

As for the box, make sure that you build it the correct size for the subs. WinIsd works great. I would also advise against putting 6.5's for 6x9's in the box as well., you will have cancellation issues. Just amp the door speakers and you will be fine.