Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

steering wheel controls... can i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:52 PM
hootymo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default steering wheel controls... can i do it?

hi there, i am considering adding the steering wheel radio controls to my '99 LT, is this possible? i think i heard somewhere that i need to replace the entire steering column, anyone know if there is any truth to this?

i know the radio is ready for it (it's the stock cd player), just want to see if there is a harness or something out there i can get to hook the stock controls up to the stock radio and if anyone has ever done this before.

i am looking to use all stock parts for this project, anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: steering wheel controls... can i do it?

I'd love to have the controls as well. I haven't really looked into it much, but I do believe that you have to basically gut the steering column to add everything in. Here's a schematic I was able to dig up for my '00... Shouldn't be any different on your '99.

Click on image to enlarge

Old 01-20-2007, 02:22 PM
hootymo is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the quick reply! i am not that good at reading schematics. i am pretty good at wiring stuff up though, if you can sorta translate that for me i would appreciate it. thanks a lot!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

it can be done, but a real PITA. have done it a few times, never want to do it again.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pat, you must elaborate! LOL. I've got a full column at the local yard that I can pull to swap parts. I should even be able to grab harnesses as well. Running wires isn't a problem...

Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

here, i will make it easy on you. yea, it costs a little, but you dont need anything new, and the only tools you need besides basic hand tools is a steering wheel puller.

Clicky

they do not list our 99 up trucks, but if you call them, they have it, just not on their website.

BTW, this is by far the easiest way to go.

Not totally sure if this would work with aftermarket radio, but you could ask them, if not, go to pac-audio and get the SWI-X. universal interface.