Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 09:35 AM
|
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stereo problem?

My girlfriend bought a 96 s-Blazer LT with the factory CD player. Turns out the stereo don't work. Took it back and they replaced the stereo. Then it would have a mind of its own. Sometimes you could turn volume down but it wouldn't change, or power button no work, etc. etc. So out it comes. I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket stereo with the proper hook up kit and its still doing the same thing. I'm thinking there must be a bad wire under the dash or something.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-03-2006 | 05:09 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stereo problem?

wow man, thats pretty freakin weird. i dont really understand how it COULDNT be the head units with what your decribing. maybe the power wire to the unit has a short and if frying the deck? or something along the lines of some stock wire frying the deck. but i dont know that much about OEM electricals so i dont think i can help ya. good luck with that one though.

Old 03-03-2006 | 06:54 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Yeah, find another source for power. There may be a V drop even when the engine is running causing it to quit on ya.

Old 03-03-2006 | 07:48 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

very weird. I would first try another deck, then if it happens again I would find another power line source. i.e. (fuse panel).

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:16 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

You've burned up enough decks. Get a meter, find a wire that comes on when the ignition is on and put a relay on it so you don't draw too much current outta that wire. Then run a new 12 or 14 gauge wire straight from the battery and dedicate it to your head unit and the constant power the relay needs. Next find a screw behind the dash you can ground the deck and the relay to and use the same size wire. If the problem persists call a preist and perform an exorcism on the truck lol. It is not as hard or time consuming as it sounds.

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:43 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

You've burned up enough decks. Get a meter, find a wire that comes on when the ignition is on and put a relay on it so you don't draw too much current outta that wire. Then run a new 12 or 14 gauge wire straight from the battery and dedicate it to your head unit and the constant power the relay needs. Next find a screw behind the dash you can ground the deck and the relay to and use the same size wire. If the problem persists call a preist and perform an exorcism on the truck lol. It is not as hard or time consuming as it sounds.

I doubt this truck is frying any of these decks. If everything is hooked up properly a car just won't fry decks, it'll hit a fuse first. I think the best bet is to try another deck if available and then run a new hot wire, like from the battery but the fuse panel is closer and just as easy.

Old 03-03-2006 | 10:45 PM
|
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

No fried decks yet. They just don't work all the time. The decks will do the functions I want them to do on the screen, but nothing happens. Turn off power and usually it works ok again. Sometimes not until you turn off truck.
I think its part of the OEM harness causing my probs. Aftermarket harness to the OEM harness is new.

Old 03-03-2006 | 11:04 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a low voltage issue or maybe the voltage changes a lot. I know one system I had would cause the radar detector to turn off and do other crazy **** when the bass hit.