Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member
Blazin711 is on a distinguished road
Default Stereo Problems

OK, I bought a used 2000 Blazer 2 dr about a month ago. The factory cd player was not working and the rear speaker output was extremely weak. I decided to upgrade my headunit and buy new 6X9's for the rear.

I installed the new headunit using a wiring harness and after I finished the install I had Headunit power but no sound output. I went back to the harness and instead of bypassing the stock blue wire amp (like the stereo install sticky mentioned), I connected it and got audio output. I took out the rear speakers, which were not 6X9's, and used the stock speaker wires with my new 6X9's in custom 6X9 boxes.

Now, my system works and the front stock speakers sound great and they seem to have a lot power going to them. The problem is still my new rear 6X9's. They sound exactly like the stock speakers I replaced. When I fade the output all the way to the rear speakers there is music coming out, but they are really weak and have no mids or lows. Basically they sound like crap. Does my stock system not send power to the rear speakers? Do I need to purchase a separate amplifier to get decent power to just the 6x9's? Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem is or how to correct it?

I forgot to mention that the stock rear speakers I removed were Bose, and I haven't messed with my stock amplifier at all, if I have one that is....

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks....
Josh

Last edited by Blazin711; 03-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:50 AM
PABlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

u have the advanced stereo... ur factory amp could b shot... i always reccomend getting a aftermarket amp... it will give u great sound on all ur speakers...

Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
Blazin711 is on a distinguished road
Default ?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems like the factory system only boosts the power to the front speakers. I've tried to rewire it a few times, even hooking up my aftermarket 6X9's as if they were the front stock speakers. There just doesn't seem to be much power at all directed toward the rear speakers. I guess I will go ahead and install an aftermarket amp and be done with it.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Starting Member
1426 patriot is on a distinguished road

I could use some help,I have a 2000 two door blazer with the bose system and only the door speakers work, does this sound like the amp is the problem or are four of the six speakers actually shot? Please help!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

if you don't want to spend the extra money on an amp and your stock one is messed up. I would suggest running new wires to your speakers from your unit. You can do this by instead of soldering the speaker wires to the harness let them free and solder your own speaker wire to each one and run the wires to each speaker. Most head units put out 15 watts per channel which probably is a little less than the bose amp but if its not working right you should notice a huge difference from your unit. It seems to me there may be a problem with your amp, so bypassing it would be the easiest/cheapest way. Running new wires isn't that hard or expensive.

And I'm not 100% sure about the bose system but most blazers only have 4 speakers. The grills in the dash either have nothing in them or a tweeter. What you can do with the tweeter is either get a pair of component speakers and mount the mid range in the doors and the tweeter in the dash. Or you can get just a pair of full range speakers and just unhook the tweeter in the dash. Or you can get either components or full range speakers put them in your door and then get a pair of 4x6 speakers for the dash. You will have to run a set of wires to the dash speakers in order to get more than just the tweeter to work. I would also not recommend doing this if you aren't planning on having an aftermarket amp.

Last edited by Benedict1337; 02-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.