Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Starting Member
RideEezy is on a distinguished road
Default stereo upgrade

So I am new to here and will be messing with all the stats to my blazer in a bit, but i wanted to get this started and ask anyone out there willing to help. I have searched through this forum and didn't have much luck with it not in a particular thread anyway.

My question is this, I have a 2000 s-10 blazer. It has the tweeters mounted in the dash and 6 1/2's in the doors. I am looking to upgrade my door speakers I just replaced my head unit and want to go a little deeper into this. Nothing too fancy just something that sounds a little crisper. I am hoping that someone can tell me (and next weekend I had planned on checking it out) but if I wanted to move from 6 1/2 to a 6x9 in the back door what I could expect?

obviously working a new hole in the door panel, but after removing the OEM bracket will the 6x9 have a lot of trouble fitting in there? If there is a particular thread or any information you could point me to that I can read up on or some general tips that you could help me out with I would be greatly appreciative

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Pretty much anything will sound better than the stock speakers. The biggest problem with 6x9's in the back doors is that 30% of the cone is going to be covered by the door panel which kinda negates the purpose of putting a 6x9 there in the first place. The grill in the panel is meant for a round speaker, not an oval one.

In all honesty most people tend to worry too much about replacing ALL the speakers instead of concentrating on the ones that matter the most. Music is recorded in stereo with the perception of the band playing in front of the listener. The front speakers are the main focal point and where the money and effort should be focused on. Though for most people that kind of sound quality seems to be superfluous.

The simple, drop in easy way to go works well for the average person and I would imagine it would be all you need. I think you would be wasting your time, money and effort on putting 6x9's in the rear doors unless you were going to go through all the trouble of modifying the back door panels so they weren't covered by it. If you were going to do that much work I can recommend much better places to concentrate on.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
camarodude13 is on a distinguished road

I am also looking to upgrade my system (blown dash speaker). Everything is currently stock and i want to add bass without adding an amp/box in back. Mine is an Xtreme and has 4x6 in dash, 6.5 doors, 6x9 back. What brand of speaker should i look at to get the most bass? I'm going to swap the deck eventually too. Thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

@ Camarodude The brand that has given the most bass is the 24" MTF it has an efficiency of 99db . . . .yup ninety nine decibels. To furthur answer your question It has been driven successfully by ten kilowatts. You wanted to know!