Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo Wiring and Install Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 AM
BrianWesterman is on a distinguished road

So you think it might be possible that the antenna itself could be the problem?

I did get one at the Autozone and plug it into the back of the radio and nothing changed, but I didn't try to ground it or anything. I was wondering if the radio itself might have lost it's ground, but I'm not sure how to test that.

Brian

Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

if the cd works fine, but the AM FM does not work, its not a ground.
I would try to find the wire that goes FROM the antenna TO the radio, replace that and see if it fixes the problem. If not, the FM tuner on the radio might be bad.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road

I am wiring up a Sony Xplod deck I got for free today since mine didn't have a faceplate when I bought it. I pulled out the old pioneer deck and it's wired up pretty badly, I hope I don't run into any problems wiring up this new deck today.

Quick question, does the left/right front wires also power the dash speakers, or just the doors?

I have a 2 door 96 blazer, I believe there is 6 speakers total, but only 4 connections.

I believe Sony uses the standard wiring colors, so it should be pretty easy to match everything up from what I have read. I have never installed a CD player before but it seems pretty straightforward. At least in my case there is already a spot for the new CD player to go, no need to remove the dash or anything crazy.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
kandiware is on a distinguished road

Im having trouble and hope I can explain it so someone can help-
2000 Blazer, trying to install after market JVC KD-R330. Wiring harness had been cut so had to wire myself. I believe I had everything connected according to all the diagrams I had found online, except the stereo didn't work and I had 2 green wires left over (in addition to the dark green and light green needed for other connections). There's nothing to distinguish the 2 apart, but when one of the is connected to the yellow, my gauges jumped and I had power to the stereo. If both are connected to the yellow, my speedometer doesn't work. Also, the stereo resets every time I turn off the truck (presets dont save) The JVC came with a red wire, instructions said if there wasn't a red from the harness, to attach to a fuse tap but it's not clear which fuse to insert it in.
Hope someone can help
Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 AM
rolemodeltom is on a distinguished road
Default stereo installation issues

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy and after taking off the dash and removing the old stereo I rewired the stock harness for my new head unit a JVC KD-X50BT and plugged it in, reset the unit and fired up the truck and nothing happened, no power no nothing. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or is this a reoccurring problem.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rolemodeltom
I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy and after taking off the dash and removing the old stereo I rewired the stock harness for my new head unit a JVC KD-X50BT and plugged it in, reset the unit and fired up the truck and nothing happened, no power no nothing. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or is this a reoccurring problem.
I definitely believe you've got something wired wrong. I'm assuming by the way you mentioned "re-wiring" the stock harness that you cut the factory plug off? If so, why? The harness adapters aren't that expensive at all and save from this kind of time consuming trouble. Now, that aside, as long as you have the HU's YELLOW wire connected to the factory ORANGE, and the HU's RED wire connected to the factory YELLOW, and black to black it should fire up. Use a DMM to test the voltage on those wire to make sure the ORANGE wire is always hot (12v all the time) and that the factory YELLOW wire get 12v when you turn the key to accessory/on. If not, start checking fuses.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Starting Member
SpartanZeig is on a distinguished road
Default Radio Installation Issues

Sorry in advance if this has been answered earlier, I read through the entire thread and didn't see an answer.
I have a 97 Jimmy, and I'm installing a new Pioneer DEH-X5500HD stereo. I also have the Scosche GM02B / GM02 adapter so that I didn't have to cut any of the factory plugs.
The issue that I'm running into is which wires to splice together. The speaker wires are obvious but outside of that I currently have the pioneer black matched with the GM02 black, the yellows matched, the blues matched, and the reds matched. The problem is that there is an extra orange wire coming from the GM02, and with the current wiring scheme the radio has no power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 AM

Congratulations, everything is correct! The extra wire, the orange, is for the illumination. If your HU doesn't have it then there's nothing to connect it to. Just tape or cap it off and don't worry about it.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Starting Member
SpartanZeig is on a distinguished road

Glad to know I got it wired correctly! Any ideas on why the unit doesn't receive power when its plugged in?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Ah, didn't catch that part in your OP.

If you have a voltmeter, or dmm, you should be able to troubleshoot this fairly quickly on your own. There's one of three things causing it to not work at all. First two are either a blown or missing fuse for the constant power (yellow wire) and/or for the key switched power (red wire). Testing both of these for power when the key is on is the quickest way to diagnose them. If you don't have a voltmeter then at least check to see if the fuses are in place and good. The third issue is either the fuse in the HU itself is bad (not all have them, it's usually right next to the wire harness on the back if it does) or the HU has another issue and just isn't working. At least, these are the three most common possible culprits. The other problems could be a bad or disconnected factory ground for example (rare) or the harness adapter is pinned wrong (only ever seen this happen once, ever so extremely rare).

A voltmeter is your best friend in a case like this. If you can get a good voltage reading between the case of the HU (verifies the ground is good) and the yellow and red wires then you have another more unusual problem.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring and Install Parts