Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stock Alt Amperage, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 AM
captaincheesey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stock Alt Amperage, etc.

First off, new here. Joining this to help a friend whenever we get started on his all out audio install in his blazer. I have a couple questions though. First off is what kind of amperage the stock alternator on a 2002 Blazer ZR2 is rated for. Is it 160? Also, I would appreciate it if I could see a few installs of people here to get a feel for how big of a box we can fit back there without removing the back seats. I want to get 8 cubes back there if possible, but am not sure. All help would be greatly appreciated so I can relay it back to him on what is possible.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:05 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stock Alt Amperage, etc.

I believe the stock one is 100 amps. If your going to pull 160 amps from it you gonna need another battery to take the strain of the alt. Because if you dont either upgrade the alt or add another power source your gonna end up dropping amps with the stock alt and kill it.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

100amp alternator is correct. as for box size, even if you go 3 wide, 25 deep, and 18 high, using 3/4" mdf, your internal volume would be about 7.5 cubic feet.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Well I need to get 8 cubes, no if ands or buts, and I don't really feel like doing a wall-like enclosure so we will see what we can do with it. I know I would need extra stuff, I just wanted to know the current amperage of the alternator. Looks like running dual alts and keeping the current one is out of the question. I might as well get him a 300 Amp H/O alt and call it a day. Anyone have any setups they have in the back of their blazer they can show me? Possibly something that has been metered and can hit high 140s or low 150s daily on music?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i have pics of mine on ROE, under same screen name

Old 06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta be pretty close to that i havent turned all four of mine up all the way i get about 40 percent on the radio and i have to get out. I know hillbillys beast does :P

Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 PM

Hillbilly, you should have seen me over on ROE. Same name.